Adirondacks, NY, part 5 of 5, 10/10-10/11, 2022

Fungi

THE LOST BOYS

We returned back to the Weld Trail, which we followed up to Rainbow Falls. At the falls, Cascade Brook spills off an impressive cliff. It’s a huge waterfall, but water levels were pretty low. I’m sure it is an incredible sight in the Spring when water is higher.

IMG_E6841.jpg

From there we backtracked to the dam. At that point we could have followed a trail downstream along the west side of the Ausable River. However, I talked Larry into a slightly more demanding route. We climbed away from the river and on to two views from Lost Lookout. Those bonus views were nice, but not really worth the extra time and effort required.

IMG_6843.jpg

From Lost Lookout we descended steeply alongside Beaver Meadow Falls. This waterfall is a beauty, even with low water, and the surrounding fall color added to the scene. I wanted to linger there, but it was late afternoon and we still had some ground to cover before we reached a campsite.

IMG_E6894.jpg

We followed the West River Trail downstream, passing a cool flume on the Ausable River. A short distance beyond we reached a junction with the Wedge Brook Trail. That was our route back, so we left the river, following Wedge Brook upstream. Moments later, a group of teenage boys caught up with us. They were trying to reach a viewpoint for sunset. I was a bit puzzled, as I didn’t think that there were any views up the Wedge Brook Trail. After talking with them, I realized that they were trying to get to the Lost Lookout. I eventually convinced them that they were heading up the wrong trail. I figured that they had less than 30 minutes of daylight left. They had to return to the West River Trail, head upstream for almost a mile, and then climb up the trail alongside Beaver Meadow Falls. Then they would still have some climbing to reach the actual overlook. I didn’t like their chances of making it for sunset.

THE WEDGE

We resumed the hike briefly, before arriving at the base of a mossy waterfall on Wedge Brook. The flow was paltry, but it was a cool spot. Larry found out just how slippery the rocks are there while trying to fill his water bottle!

From the waterfall we rejoined the trail and set an aggressive pace in hopes of making it to camp before dark. We failed miserably. We finished our second day in a row by headlamp, but I don’t regret it. I’m glad we made the most of our time in the Ausable River valley. The trail was uphill but fairly easy, and we didn’t have any trouble finding the campsite in the dark.

Our goal for the next day was to make it back to the car, or as close as possible. Our pace had been so slow due to the rough trails that I wasn’t confident that we could finish in one day. If not, we could camp at Johns Brook or Klondike and finish the next morning.

Fortunately, the trail was much better than what we had come to expect. After a steady climb we reached a gap on the ridge between Upper and Lower Wolfjaw Mountains. There is a limited view here, but the best part of the day was the amazing fall foliage on the descent to Johns Brook and beyond. The fall color was spectacular for most of the remainder of the hike.

IMG_6948.jpg

IMG_6954.jpg

IMG_6968.jpg

The rest of the hike was relatively uneventful, and the pleasant weather persisted. We made it back to the car late that afternoon and headed back towards Clearfield. We stopped at a Five Guys near Albany for a quick dinner before resuming the journey. Initially I thought we would stop somewhere and get a hotel, but we ultimately decided to keep trucking. We got back well after midnight, but it was great to enjoy a lazy rainy day back in Clearfield.

Love the fall colors in these reports, and the great writeup. I am glad you shared.

Those waterfalls look great. I wonder what they look like in the spring with tons of water?

thanks for finishing the reports, they make me wish I lived closer to the Adirondacks

Those waterfalls look great. I wonder what they look like in the spring with tons of water?

thanks for finishing the reports, they make me wish I lived closer to the Adirondacks
Yeah, I had that thought, too. It's funny that most of the trails were muddy but the water levels were low. I'd love to go back to the Ausable Lake area in Spring or early Summer to see the waterfalls when they are really flowing.

@kwc Cool photos, I especially like the Beaver Falls one

Sounds like you had a wonderful adventure in the Adirondacks! It's amazing how nature's beauty can change with the seasons. If you're looking for more outdoor exploration or perhaps a cozy retreat after your hike, check out www.junglevistahotel.com for some great travel ideas!

Last edited: