Adirondacks, NY, part 2 of 5, 10/7, 2022

Fungi

PERFECT TIMING

We started towards Mount Colden early Saturday afternoon. It was a sunny day, but ice was still glimmering on the trees and rock faces higher up on the mountain. Would we be able to make it up there? There was only one way to find out.

We left camp, hiked around the lower end of the lake, descended a long ladder, and crossed the dam. There are a lot of campsites on the far side, and they seemed to be very busy. There were tents and people everywhere. We passed a junction and headed north along the east side of the lake. Early on we enjoyed a nice view of frosty Algonquin Peak. Unfortunately, the fall color was long gone around Lake Colden. Apparently it peaks early there. This stretch of trail was rugged, with lots of mud bogs and one icy cliff that was treacherous. Just after that stretch we reached another junction and started up the mountain.

IMG_6119.jpg

The hike started out as a rugged climb through the woods. That stretch was almost pleasant, aside from the frequent rocks and mud. Then we crossed a small stream and started the real ascent. Most of the trail on the southwest side of Mount Colden ascends low angled rock slabs, with ladders on the steeper sections. I imagine this trail is fun to hike when the rocks are dry (if they ever are?). They were most definitely not dry on Saturday, October 8th. In fact, it quickly became apparent that they had been covered in a glaze of ice shortly before we arrived. In fact, we encountered more ice the higher we climbed. Fortunately most of the “trail” was just wet, and the icy spots were avoidable.

IMG_6122.jpg

We reached a tall, sketchy ladder ascending a cliff near treeline. The rungs on this ladder were heavily worn, and they looked like they could give out at any moment. Dismounting from the top of the ladder onto an icy rock was exciting, too. Fortunately, the hike was pretty easy from there. The only challenge from there to the top was enduring the icy wind.

The views were spectacular. To the south we gazed out over the Flowed Lands, across a vast wilderness of glimmering lakes and hazy peaks. West across the narrow of defile of Avalanche Lake was a long ridge of mighty summits, capped by Algonquin Peak. North we could see towards Lake Placid and the surrounding mountains. That direction featured the best fall foliage of the trip so far, as entire mountainsides were carpeted in shades of red.

IMG_6138.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

IMG_6151.jpg

Mount Colden features great views in every direction, but I don’t think we ever touched the proper summit. The top of the mountain is a long, flatish ridge. It looked like the summit was just above where we stopped, surrounded by a thick stand of stunted trees. I briefly started that way, but continuing would’ve required climbing an icy boulder. I didn’t think it would be worth the effort, and I didn’t really care about touching the exact summit anyway.

Originally I thought we might continue north across Mount Colden, descend the northeast ridge to Lake Arnold, and loop back to Lake Colden along the Opalescent River. However, we weren’t sure what those trails were like. It was late afternoon, and we didn’t want to attempt a route that might be longer, harder, and slower. I also feared that the northeast ridge would have more ice. We decided to head back by the same route.

IMG_6175.jpg

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6192.jpg

IMG_6195.jpg

IMG_6198.jpg

We had started our ascent at the perfect time, and the same was true for our descent. The temperature was dropping, and ice was reforming along stretches of the trail. That made for a sketchy descent, but it could’ve been a lot worse. If we had started the hike earlier we probably would’ve been turned around by the ice. Descending later would’ve been more treacherous, too. I’d love to claim that I planned it this way, but we were really just lucky.

IMG_6204.jpg
This is actually a trail.​

IMG_6212.jpg

Our luck held out that evening. We made it back to the Lake Colden dam at sunset and enjoyed some subtle color over the lake. We returned to our campsite and started cooking dinner at dusk. A few minutes later a ranger and a pair of backpackers paid us a visit. They had just arrived at Lake Colden, and apparently all of the campsites and shelters were full. The ranger asked us if they could squeeze in. We were fine with that, but there was only one other reasonable tent site, and it had a substantial puddle. They were out of other options, so they started setting up there.

While he was there, the ranger inspected our bear canisters. He informed me that my canister was not an approved model. Technically my canister was actually Larry’s canister, as I had borrowed it from him. However, the one I own is identical. I pointed out that the canister I had was my only option. He told me to carry on, but to get a different model for future trips. Fortunately, it was dark enough that he couldn’t see me roll my eyes.

The ranger left, but he returned a few minutes later. He announced that he had found another spot for the couple that had just arrived. They were halfway through setting up their campsite, but they seemed happy to pack back up and move, as that was probably better than sleeping in a mud puddle.

It started sleeting a few minutes later. We finished up dinner and headed to bed. We had a mixture of sleet, snow, and freezing rain off and on that night, but at least it was light.

@Fungi … I’m guessing that you had a BearVault canister? The DEC stopped approving them after the bear “yellow-yellow“ learned how to open them and then taught her cubs the same. That was a number of years ago but I think the DEC is erring on the side of caution. (“yellow-yellow” referred to the tags on this particular bear)

I can't imagine it being so crowded that a ranger is helping people find campsites. Is this normal for the Adirondacks? That many people and that many rangers?

Subtle color over the lake to finish the day looks pretty good.

thanks for continuing the report

I can't imagine it being so crowded that a ranger is helping people find campsites. Is this normal for the Adirondacks? That many people and that many rangers?
This was, I believe, Columbus Day weekend and Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, and so this particular area of the Adirondacks does get pretty busy and often overcrowded. Since that area can be busy there can be more rangers on duty (often assistant forest rangers).

@Fungi … I’m guessing that you had a BearVault canister? The DEC stopped approving them after the bear “yellow-yellow“ learned how to open them and then taught her cubs the same. That was a number of years ago but I think the DEC is erring on the side of caution. (“yellow-yellow” referred to the tags on this particular bear)
Yes. I forget the model, but it is an old one. I think the newer models are approved.

Subtle color over the lake to finish the day looks pretty good.

thanks for continuing the report
I figured out the trick to posting from home - I just have to reduce the resolution on the photos before I upload them.

Yeah, I was surprised at how crowded it was. It was a weekend at or near the peak of fall color though. I guess I didn't really know what to expect. In most places a marginal weather forecast will scare a lot of people away, but apparently not in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks. I will say that the crowds disappeared once we left the heart of the High Peaks region and got into the next week.

I figured out the trick to posting from home - I just have to reduce the resolution on the photos before I upload them.
I've experienced these issues with photos taken on phones I had in the past. I think it's just something about certain phones' camera software that doesn't jive with the site software, so they come in with a different orientation. Any edit to the photo done on the computer seems to get rid of the issue in my experience.

And on the subject of the trip report, I am really enjoying these! I've never been to the Adirondacks, but these photos almost make me feel like I'm there. Really good captures of the scale and breadth of the place!

I've experienced these issues with photos taken on phones I had in the past. I think it's just something about certain phones' camera software that doesn't jive with the site software, so they come in with a different orientation. Any edit to the photo done on the computer seems to get rid of the issue in my experience.

And on the subject of the trip report, I am really enjoying these! I've never been to the Adirondacks, but these photos almost make me feel like I'm there. Really good captures of the scale and breadth of the place!

Thanks! I'll post part 3 tomorrow.