Government shutdown??

So what is the take on the permit areas?

Coyote? self permit so oK?
Grand Gulch? ranger permit so off limits?

While researching these hikes I came across an Outside Mag article written a few years back during the last Gov shutdown. Since the Nat Parks were closed they went to Grand Gulch and went right past a closed ranger station to the trail.

I always go by the closed ranger station. As long as you are outside the primitive area you are ok. There is a lot of great car camping on Cedar Mesa.

I talked to someone at Paria Outfitters about how heavily patrolled House Rock Valley Road is. They said that the ranger who checks permits was not furloughed and that he is catching people poaching the Wave. One of them received a $1200 fine.

WOW! Good for the Ranger! As frustrating as the permit system can be, these areas are protected for a reason!

I tried to organize a critical mass bike ride to the DC monuments to protest the shutdown. I contacted all of the local bike advocacy group. Totally failed and I know a lot of them personally. Most had absolutely NO interest.

Man, that is pathetic. Unfortunately most don't care until it affects them personally.

WOW! Good for the Ranger! As frustrating as the permit system can be, these areas are protected for a reason!

The penalty for going to the Wave without a permit is $1200. I don't see why it would be any different now-entry to both South and North Coyote Buttes has always been restricted.

It's not different. I'm just glad to see they are still keeping it that way.

It's not different. I'm just glad to see they are still keeping it that way.

I am, too. I was just saying that anyone who tries to go to the Wave without a permit shouldn't be surprised that the standard fine is still in effect.

It's not the King's, I mean Obama's land. It's ours. If the gates are closed, go around. The government works for us, the taxpayers, not the other way around.

All of Grand Gulch is a Primitive Area. The Shieks/Bullet loop is in the primitive area. The camping areas on the mesa above are not for the most part. All of the other canyons, Slickhorn, Johns, Pt. Lookout are not in a primitive area.
You can camp at the head of Shieks and do the loop as a day hike.

Me again:) Time running out and appears no Gov solution so I am putting together Utah trip II. I want to do the Sheiks/Bullet loop. I pulled maps, trip reports etc. Seems the trip is 13 miles plus 4 back to car along road. Doable but I want to spend time looking at the ruins so I want to shorten it. I believe the mileage is hiking Bullet to the end. What is the difference in mileage if I bail out of Bullet @ Jailhouse and head back to Sheiks. Map states exposure @ Jailhouse. Is it sketchy? I am comfortable with heights and climbing.
I am now wishing I had a GPS. Too late to mess with at this point.

Do you have an Android phone? BackCountry Navigator is a great alternative to a dedicated GPS. I use it all the time. Just be sure to put the phone in airplane mode. And download the maps you need ahead of time.

http://backcountrynavigator.com/

I have done this loop a few times, both as an over nighter and day hike. What I did was drive past the Bullet trailhead, continue and follow the road to the Sheiks Canyon trailhead (great car camping here). Park here and head south? to the rim of Bullet, you will be above Perfect Kiva. Work your way down off the rim (several choices here, be careful!) and down the small side canyon that holds perfect kiva, check it out and Jailhouse just down from there then head down to the confluence w/Grand Gulch, up Grand Gulch to Shieks, check out green mask ruin and then head up sheiks to your car. I have done it in a long day, with plenty of time to check things out. My favorite loop on Cedar Mesa.

I'm out of the country so I haven't kept up with this, apologies if this was already posted. But did anybody see this about San Juan county planning to forcefully reopen Powell, Natural Bridges and other fed land in SJ county? Those guys have done some pretty whacky wingnut stuff in the past, but I think I'm a-okay with this!

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=27174410&ni...eopen-lake-powell&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-17

An ironic footnote for me in this whole gov shutdown crap. The first time I have ever laid eyes on the Grand Canyon was yesterday from the air at one of the only times in history when it is closed to visitors. Haha!

20131008_080331.jpg

I have done this loop a few times, both as an over nighter and day hike. What I did was drive past the Bullet trailhead, continue and follow the road to the Sheiks Canyon trailhead (great car camping here). Park here and head south? to the rim of Bullet, you will be above Perfect Kiva. Work your way down off the rim (several choices here, be careful!) and down the small side canyon that holds perfect kiva, check it out and Jailhouse just down from there then head down to the confluence w/Grand Gulch, up Grand Gulch to Shieks, check out green mask ruin and then head up sheiks to your car. I have done it in a long day, with plenty of time to check things out. My favorite loop on Cedar Mesa.

Thanks, I'll give it go.

I'm out of the country so I haven't kept up with this, apologies if this was already posted. But did anybody see this about San Juan county planning to forcefully reopen Powell, Natural Bridges and other fed land in SJ county? Those guys have done some pretty whacky wingnut stuff in the past, but I think I'm a-okay with this!

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=27174410&ni...eopen-lake-powell&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-17

Now I understand the expression "politics makes strange bedfellows". I never thought I'd be on the same side as these guys-lol!