Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six

Trail does kinda "go" on the north side of the drainage, however it gets pretty sketchy at points. Both times, I've bailed down off it and just embraced the bushwhack eventually. The longer you can keep your nerve and stay on the trail, the better.

So when you say sketchy, do you mean the trail is really steep, or washed out, or just hard to determine on the ground? Or maybe all of the above? :)

LarryBoy is right on the trail over Majo Pass. It is indeed nothing more then an old route. In descending I just took my time. Yes it does get sketchy at times. Think these days it does not get used much. But such Great Country!

Last edited:
LarryBoy is right on the trail overlays Pass. It is indeed nothing more then an old route. In descending I just took my time. Yes it does get sketchy at times. Think these days it does not get used much. But such Great Country!

It really nags at me on a daily basis that we weren't able to latch onto that trail at the bottom and follow it up. I just can't shake it. :D

It really nags at me on a daily basis that we weren't able to latch onto that trail at the bottom and follow it up. I just can't shake it. :D
I've got a GPS waypoint somewhere in my caltopo of where it begins at the bottom. Just side-hilly and steep. It does get some use though; an outfitter had cut it open at least part of the way in 2020. Why you'd decide that it's wise to take a horse on said trail is beyond me though.

I've got a GPS waypoint somewhere in my caltopo of where it begins at the bottom. Just side-hilly and steep. It does get some use though; an outfitter had cut it open at least part of the way in 2020. Why you'd decide that it's wise to take a horse on said trail is beyond me though.
Probly why the outfitters quit cutting the trail.... His horse said noway.

Mind sharing the coordinates of that point?

Scatman, so it nags on you this Majo Trail. This country will still be around for years to come. Now do remember when I got to the bottom of the steep pass descent, the trail more or less disappeared in the grass at the bottom if I remember right. Then just went across country to the Thorofare Creek. It was certainly then nothing but an old route which had deterioted thru the years. For myself just took my time coming on down. Then got to the meadows along Thorofare Creek where I camped and hiked around for several days with seeing no one whatsoever.

Back