Yellowstone Backcountry Hiking Trip

kjforrest88

So I'm heading out to Yellowstone in late August, and we are really wanting to avoid people as much as possible. I'm trying to plan out a backcountry hike, but there's so many amazing sites, I'm not really sure where to start. I'd like to cover as much ground as possible, while still being able to enjoy the trip. We have 7 days to hike, and there are 4 of us who, although relatively inexperienced with backpacking, are all experienced hikers and in pretty good shape. Anyway, I was just looking for recommendations from anybody who's been there, what to hike, campsites, etc. Thanks!

Check out @Joey 's trip reports and YouTube videos they will be a great resource. Also him and many others I'm sure will chime in and lend some advice directly as well. I don't have a lot of experience in Yellowstone backcountry myself but first thing that comes to mind for me is bear saftey! Read up, ask questions, be safe and most important have fun!

Yellowstone has a very diverse backcountry. Its also quite different from most backpacking destinations such as Glacier, the Winds, the Sierras, and Colorado Rockies. It's the woods. Wild wilderness. Lots of wildlife, thermal features, lakes, marshes, meadows, rivers, and fire burn. Waterfalls and geysers. Great fishing and bird watching. Wolves howling. Instead of high peaks, you have a lot of wooded ridges. Its an amazing place, but not everyone likes this kind of backpacking.

Have you been to the park before? Are you looking to do 1 long backpack, or several short trips. People won't be an issue, outside of a few places. Even then, the backcountry here is quieter than any other. The hiking trails are relatively easy to walk, you will rarely climb or drop more than 1000 ft of elevation.

Some areas to consider:
The Bechler River / meadows area.
Shoshone Lake and geyser basin.
Heart Lake, Yellowstone Lake, and the Thorofare.
Sky Rim, Sportsman lake, Gallatin Mountains, Electric Peak area.
The Yellowstone River and Hellroaring area.
Pebble Creek, Bliss Pass, Slough Creek.

Back