Yellowstone 5/8/23 - UPDATE

Bob

Trailmaster
Those interested, went into the park today up to the Lamar. Not much snow to 7000 ft. Unless you are on the north side, then its about a foot. Higher elevations have a lot still. Overall melt is about normal, creeks, streams and rivers are running, but not real muddy yet till the high snow melts. Not many cars around. working on bridges going to NE entrance. Lots of wildlife.....IMG_0094.JPGIMG_0104.JPGIMG_0108.JPGIMG_0113.JPG

I saw red dogs over by Old Faithful, but not in the Hayden or Lamar. I was in the northern range today, and still no red dogs.

Update ---- 5/17/23

Drove S loop......

about 12 inches around 7000 ft (Norris area)
about 24 inches around 8000 ft (cygnet lk TH)
Large patches snow and really wet in Hayden Valley, no animals to speak of.
approx 1 to 2 ft Snow all the way around Lake, Thumb, Craig Pass, Kepler.

Road construction is way bad between Old Faithful and Thumb.... Id avoid it this summer, we had a 25 minute wait and traffic was not heavy.
Yellowstone Lk is ice and snow covered still. All the streams are at their high.

Thanks for the info, @Bob. I've been helping a family from my school with plans for their mid-June trip. I've let them know it may still be snowy and probably muddy. They have little kids and will be doing typical family stuff - staying W Yellowstone for 3-4 days then going to Tetons for a couple days. As it gets closer, additional info and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the info, @Bob. I've been helping a family from my school with plans for their mid-June trip. I've let them know it may still be snowy and probably muddy. They have little kids and will be doing typical family stuff - staying W Yellowstone for 3-4 days then going to Tetons for a couple days. As it gets closer, additional info and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Feel free to message me

Back