XC Ski at Southern Utah's Deer Valley

Howells Outdoors

Adventure is my middle name...actually it's Keith.
From Howells Outdoors:

Last year was the first time I got to try cross country skis and I loved 'em. It's the only way to go for winter travel. For years I have been using snowshoes to get around in the snow, now I want XC skis.

So for my birthday we rented some skis and went up to the Deer Valley Non-motorized Winter Recreation Area on the Dixie National Forest and did a nice 8 mile loop. More info on Deer Valley here: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=28126853

There isn't much to this Trip Report, but it was a fun time. Also, I hope to spread the word about XC skiing on the Dixie so the sport and culture can grow down here (there's talk of adding like 5 yurts throughout the Dixie). If you're interested in trying skiing out (this was only my second time) give Topher Mason a call. He's got the best deal on renting skis. Contact me for his information.

These photos were taken on my Samsung or my brother-in-laws iPhone.

IMG_1539.jpg IMG_2254.jpg IMG_5306.jpg IMG_6235.jpg IMG_7083.jpg IMG_9767.jpg

Last edited:
There really isn't a better way to travel on the snow other than the sticks under your feet. Looks like there are a few hills near by that may deserve a ski turn or two.

Also its good to see a place go non-motorized in the mountains.:) Frequnetly its the other way around. :(

They have groomed trails. The Cedar Mountain Nordic ski club volunteers to help the Dixie National Forest with it.

Back