where to go? 4 days

Dustin Gent

finally got some days off next week (sunday - wednesday) and going to head somewhere. the problem is where?

i was thinking of hitting up canyonlands/arches before it gets way crazy, but then i got to looking at zion. i was there in november, but wasn't happy with the photos i got of the narrows. plus i could do some other backcountry hikes there (la vermin creek, etc). Yant Flats and the Virgin River Gorge aren't too far, and there is always Kanarraville Falls is on the way.

My wife and I have an Outback, but was thinking of taking a rental car since we car share and she has to work. too many options, which i suppose is a good problem to have? :)

This will be a "photo trip" primarily.

No leaves would make La Verkin creek much less pretty. The Narrows would be real cold unless you're getting out the wetsuit/drysuit. I'd head Moab given those options. But St. George is usually quite a bit warmer.

yeah - zion is supposed to be 70s this next week. i have gear to handle the cold water, so not worried about that. hmm...

yeah - zion is supposed to be 70s this next week. i have gear to handle the cold water, so not worried about that. hmm...

I saw a pretty stunning shot of an iced-over Kanarraville Falls on Instagram a couple weeks back. No idea how it looks now, but if you can stand the cold it's not a terrible idea.

If you decide on Canyonlands, the Needles district was very nice last weekend, other than some ice and snow in the shady spots and slightly soggy trails in places. If the higher temps hold, I bet it'll be really nice this weekend, and probably even less busy than when I was there. The road getting to the Elephant Hill TH was a little sketchy with a flooded spot and some soupy sand in a place or two, but we did it in a '99 Maxima.

good info to know.

I picked up the book "Hiking, Biking & exploring Canyonlands NP and Vicinity" a while back and forgot i had it. after looking through it, i have written down some places and am now looking at other info on them, as i have heard he sandbags info sometimes.

Currently i am making a list of possible places.
false kiva i have wanted to get back to since 2012. also never visited delicate arch, and would like to photograph double arch at night.

in the book, it mentions a rock canyon that is a non technical slot canyon, but can't find much info on it. I do have some topo maps of canyonlands, will have a look at those. Cataract Canyon overlook looks enticing. Bowtie and corona arch i may have to visit.

some iffy ones are cathedral butte and monster tower. I have a MTB i got for this very reason, but may not have the means to transport it if i take the rental car.

also on the radar are The Wedge Overlook and maybe Cedar Mesa? The problem is there is seriously so much stuff around here to explore.

All of that stuff you just mentioned are solid winter/early spring destinations, IMO. In much of Arches and Canyonlands, photography wise you wouldn't know if it's January or July except for a little snow here and there.

You're taking a rental car from SLC to Moab?

Go north and snowshoe......or Xcountry ski

i WISH i could make it up north!

tomorrow i have off, so will be researching - but most likely i will just decide on the fly. I REALLY want to shoot Zebra slot canyon again... i guess it all depends on weather and mood

Back