Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness/State Natural Area - Tennessee

BJett

My tour of the South Cumberland region continues...

Virgin Falls SNA is a small 1,157 acre gem located in the middle of nowhere, Tennessee. Highlights include 2 waterfalls, a very scenic overlook, backcountry campsites, lots of caves and the wild Caney Fork River, a remote class 4 whitewater run thru Scott's Gulf. Gulf is another name for gorge or canyon in this area, for some reason those weren't good enough...

A few minutes into the hike and I almost stepped on the biggest Gray Rat Snake I've ever seen...
IMG_7933.jpg
IMG_7935.jpg

The Mountain Laurel is at its peak...
IMG_7939.jpg

First stop, Big Laurel Falls
IMG_8018.jpg

The falls drop right into a cave, which on a sweltering 90 degree day felt amazing
IMG_7988.jpg
IMG_7974.jpg

On to Virgin Falls...no virgins...
IMG_8140.jpg

110' Virgin Falls. Again, the difference in temperature down here and the spray from the mist was magical
IMG_8050.jpg

IMG_8058.jpg

IMG_8119.jpg

Virgin Falls Cave about 30 yards above the lip of the falls. Out of the cave, into a sinkhole. Its so cold in some of these caves they used to store ice. Kart is kool.
IMG_8062.jpg

Martha's Pretty Point overlook. No Idea who Martha is, but she has a pretty point.
IMG_8180.jpg

Out and back, with side trails, is about 10-12 miles. 3 backcountry campgrounds make for great basecamps during the week. I've heard weekends get crowded and rightly so. I had the place to myself once I got to camp near the falls.
This trip was a few days after a 3 day backpack into the high country of the Southern Appalachians of NC with friends...and a night in both Asheville and Chattanooga. Nice variety. It's been a good spring to explore some of the more off-the-map areas of the southeast.

https://www.tn.gov/environment/prog...-region/middle-region/na-na-virgin-falls.html

Beautiful! Love the waterfall shots!

Back