Uintas backpacking suggestions wanted

Upgrayedd

My brother and his fiance arrive Saturday morning and we plan on backpacking in the Uintas. This will be our first trip in the Uintas and I'm excited. The question for us now is... where do we want to go?

None of us are endurance athletes and knowing my brother he'll be packing heavy, around 45lbs, so I'm looking at the following criteria for suggestions on trails and areas to explore.

1) We'll be driving up Saturday night or Sunday morning and coming back late Tuesday so a three day trip is what we're looking for.

2)Fishing - They are both getting fishing permits and love to fish. It would be ideal if we had a lake to fish at each day.

3) If we aren't gaining a ton of elevation I think we could cover up to about 10 miles a day. Mix in elevation gain and that would probably drop a mile off that for every 1000ft gained and 500ft lost. They live at sea level and I'm sure the elevation will slow them (and me) down.

4) Less crowded is greatly preferred.

5) Big beautiful views and scenic areas as always are appreciated. I don't want to just walk through the forest the entire time. I love climbing peaks to get a killer view.

Input from those of you that know the Uintas well is very much appreciated.

From the sounds of it most of the trails are snow free and good to go. Is that a correct assumption?

How are the bugs? I'm assuming we'll still want long sleeves and bug spray?

Does anyone have a link to a good weather station in the Uintas so I can check conditions before we leave and plan accordingly?

Last edited:
Back