Trail Riding in Jackson Falls (Shawnee Forest of Southern IL)

john.maldaner

A few pictures from a fall trail ride in southern Illinois. We live in far western KY, about an hour south of the Forest. We grew up in flatland country, central IL, not knowing the diversity of the landscape in the southern part of the state. Since 1990, we've lived in KY and for the past 20 years we've enjoyed southern Illinois hiking, and most generally, horse riding. Here's a few pictures from a fall ride.

This little tunnel is known as the "tin whistle," due to the sound of the train whistle! The sides are sloped, so keep your horse in the dead center to reduce the chance of slipping. Also, it's best to time your approach so as to avoid a passing train.

One of many water crossings.

My wife on her MFT gelding, Charming Legacy, aka "Legs". Great trail horse.

This area is popular with rock climbers, including many students from Southern Illinois University and on this day, a climbing family!

Can't start 'em too young!

This isn't exactly in the Jackson Falls area, but it will give you a little taste of trail riding in the Shawnee.

Outstanding! Love the sound of hooves clumping through leaves on the forest floor. And that climbing kid is exceptionally cute.

Ignorant question: what does MFT stand for?

Outstanding! Love the sound of hooves clumping through leaves on the forest floor. And that climbing kid is exceptionally cute.

Ignorant question: what does MFT stand for?

Missouri Foxtrotter. It is a “gaited” horse, meaning smooth and not choppy like the horses most cowboys ride. Quarter horses are the most common of the “stick” horses and are most commonly used for working cattle and such. Many people trail ride with them, too. But, there comes a time for many people that they want less jarring on their back and knees. Enter smooth gaited horses, such as Missouri Foxtrotters and Tennessee Walkers, to name two breeds. We have two Walkers and the one Foxtrotter.

Love the Shawnee National Forest area! I live (and grew up) in the St. Louis area (IL side), but my Dad came from the Carbondale area, and I still have relatives there. Spent time down there in summers as a kid, and to this day I love to camp, hike, etc. in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missouri Foxtrotter. It is a “gaited” horse, meaning smooth and not choppy like the horses most cowboys ride. Quarter horses are the most common of the “stick” horses and are most commonly used for working cattle and such. Many people trail ride with them, too. But, there comes a time for many people that they want less jarring on their back and knees. Enter smooth gaited horses, such as Missouri Foxtrotters and Tennessee Walkers, to name two breeds. We have two Walkers and the one Foxtrotter.
Love your report! What a pretty area. I still have a QH and I love riding her, but I can't wait to start riding my colt after he's started this spring. He's not gaited, but watching him trot and canter is making me pretty darned sure he's going to be super smooth to ride. The older I get, the more I definitely agree with having a Cadillac for a horse. ;)

Back