The Maze! 6-day backpack trip

guyfromscene24

Hey, I've been a lurker for a year or so but this is my first post. Recently did an amazing backpacking trip in the Maze
via Tex's Riverways shuttle to/from Spanish bottom May 15-20. Many thanks to many of you who have posted
here similar trips as the information was essential. We went from Spanish to Water Canyon. Did a day hike from there exploring the lower tributaries of Shot, found a way up to the ridge between Shot and Jasper, and took that to the head of Shot and made our way back down to Water. Then we moved camp to near the confluence of Picto and Horse (there is a really nice camp up a northern tributary near the spring that has four rock chairs around a rock table. The chairs have backrests!). We spent another layover day going up to the Maze Overlook and then exploring upper Horse (not too many miles though - it was incredibly hot so we spent a lot of time under cottonwoods and in an alcove). We then moved camp via Picto/Chimney rock exit and back to the Dollhouse and drycamped on the slickrock near Beehive Arch (great views of the Needles during sunset). We had two gallons of water that we cached from day one waiting for us. All the springs were going really good. In fact, there was a huge spring near the confluence of the plug and chimney tributaries in Picto that we didn't expect. Would have made a nice camp.

Here are the photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rbPqz3PwZeJzGZRv2

Cheers,
Jim

Jim

Welcome to BCP!

Though I've never done anything in the Maze district your photos
show why so many love it.

Lurker...? I don't know that I like that :cautious: lol
Amazing photos! Everything looks so astounding! Thanks for your first share, can't wait to see more.

What was the water situation?
All the springs that I read about (and others) were flowing. Water Canyon had good water above the alcove (and below).
There was a very small amount of water in the lower tributary of Shot (the tributary that has a nice arch 1/2 mile in on the right).
The spring near Picto/Horse confluence (although a few hundred meters west of the gps coordinates I read here)
was about 20 meters long and several inches deep in spots. It worked fine. The spring a bit west from below
the overlook in Horse was much bigger (and there were several others within a mile further up Horse).
There was another nice spring near the plug/chimney confluence in picto that I didn't know about/expect.
No water whatsoever near the Dollhouse or Confluence overlook area. No potholes were still holding, but
there was damp soil several places so perhaps a week ago or two there was water...

All the springs that I read about (and others) were flowing. Water Canyon had good water above the alcove (and below).
There was a very small amount of water in the lower tributary of Shot (the tributary that has a nice arch 1/2 mile in on the right).
The spring near Picto/Horse confluence (although a few hundred meters west of the gps coordinates I read here)
was about 20 meters long and several inches deep in spots. It worked fine. The spring a bit west from below
the overlook in Horse was much bigger (and there were several others within a mile further up Horse).
There was another nice spring near the plug/chimney confluence in picto that I didn't know about/expect.
No water whatsoever near the Dollhouse or Confluence overlook area. No potholes were still holding, but
there was damp soil several places so perhaps a week ago or two there was water...

Very good information, thanks.

Back