Teton Crest Trail backup plan

jdfut66

I’m planning on backpacking the Teton Crest Trail in early August. No permit, so I’ll be getting there early the day before to try and get a walk up permit for two. Any idea how early I need to get there? Looks like the office opens at 8 am so I was planning on getting there around 7:30 am. Wednesday morning. Do I need to show up earlier?

On the off chance that I’m not able to get a permit, I’d like to have a backup plan trip planned. Any ideas what a good one would be for the area? 4 day trip 9-13 miles per day ish?

Also, for now it appears my brother in law is coming but he’s been wishy washy about committing fully so far. Assuming safe bear practices (spray, situational awareness), how risky is doing the Teton Crest Trail solo? Never hiked in Grizzly country before, but I’ve been doing my research on best practices.

Last edited:
I've been hiking in the Tetons for the past 20+ years. Never entered the park with a permit. I've always done walk-ups. Send me a PM if you'd like specifics.

Maybe a loop in the Wind River Range?
That's a good idea. Just planned out two separate trips I'll take either as a backup or I'll just do next year. That area looks like a lot of fun.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm doing my second Wind River Range trip at the end of next year. Can't wait. Headed up to the Uintas this week

Back