Southern Wind Rivers in July - Suggestions Welcome

Hey all,

Apologies if this is a repeat thread, I tried to search and found similar topics but not exactly what I'm looking for. My wife and I are going to be in Lander in mid-July and I'm hoping to get some advice on short (1 or 2 nights, maybe 10-25 miles total) backpacking trips in the area. It looks like the most popular trailheads are on the west side of the range, but as we're visiting friends in Lander and have limited time I'd prefer to stay on that side if at all possible.

From searching the internet, I've come up with a couple ideas:

-Deep Creek and/or Ice Lakes area from Worthen Meadow trailhead
-Ross Lakes or Bomber Lake up near Dubois
-Something (maybe Bears Ears or Cathedral Lakes) out of Dickinson Park (not high on my list due to the $ for permits)

For those of you familiar with the area, are any of these significantly better than the others, or do you have a better suggestion? In particular I'm a fan of big open vistas and few people, ideally. I have a lot of backpacking experience all over the western U.S. (but never the Winds), but my wife is fairly inexperienced, so preferably nothing off-trail and nothing extremely strenuous. Lastly, I've read horror stories about the mosquitoes that time of year - how bad is it?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm a new poster here but I've found forums like this invaluable to getting first-hand advice about new areas. And of course I'll be back to post trip reports and photos after our trip!

The Stough Creek Lakes Basin is very pretty, and only 7-8 miles one way. A perfect one night we or leisurely two nighter.

The Deep Creek and Ice Lakes have the edge on scenery, and you can make a little loop of it by exploring all the basins. But it's 11 miles or so one way, not including exploring.

Bring lots of bug spray, and be wary that there may be a high stream crossing if going to the ice lakes.

Good luck and enjoy!

The Stough Creek Lakes Basin is very pretty, and only 7-8 miles one way. A perfect one night we or leisurely two nighter.

The Deep Creek and Ice Lakes have the edge on scenery, and you can make a little loop of it by exploring all the basins. But it's 11 miles or so one way, not including exploring.

Bring lots of bug spray, and be wary that there may be a high stream crossing if going to the ice lakes.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the info!

Back