South Coyote Buttes on a cloudy / rainy day

Des

Hi there,

I have 2 permits for SCB on the 29th March ( the day after a long awaited visit to NCB!!! ).

Currently the weather for the 29th seems to be trending to be cloudy for the 29th ( with slight chance of rain ).

As a keen amateur photographer, will all the hassle and cost of getting out there be worthwhile if the weather forecast proves to be correct? I am tempted to just go out anyway, but would be very interested in anyones experience of SCB on a poor weather day…

Thanks in Advance!

Dezzouk

I think turbulent weather is a good thing. Very photogenic. The sandy roads out there will be a bit easier when damp but house rock road could be worse depending on how much precipitation. I'd go for it.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

I'd go for it too! Like Nick said, sand is much better/easier to drive when it has some moisture in it, although house rock rd will be worse (I'd only worry if it's a down pour though)... IMO, going to CBS is easier (when wet) and quicker coming in from the southend on house rock rd. Antlerking and I made it to Paw Hole a few years ago in 2 wheel drive (found out his 4 wheel drive had gone out and wasn't working). The key to sand is momentum!

Plus the pictures are much better (usually) with some weather/clouds!

Gotta echo everyone else's sentiments-cloudy weather with a chance of rain usually means great skies! Go for it, but have 4WD.

Back