Savage Gulf State Natural Area Part 2

BJett

Savage Gulf is the highlight of the South Cumberland State Park system, IMHO. Its large enough to backpack for multiple days, has enough variety to keep most folks happy and the waterfalls...so many waterfalls.
One unique thing about this place is the option to backpack to backcountry campsites, or camp in walk-in sites...usually 100 yards to half mile from your car. This trip I went with the glamping option instead of backpacking, staying at the Savage Gulf Ranger Station Campground.
Eastern Tennessee is full of surprises. They've done a great job with their Parks and Recreation areas.

This time I hit up the east side of the area...Collins Gulf and Savage Falls. Last time I explored Big Creek Gulf, Big Creek Rim and the numerous waterfalls in that area.
Day 1 -
5 mile Savage Day Loop. Savage Falls had a good flow, and the evening light on Rattlesnake Point was dreamy.
Day 2 -
13 mile ass kicking day hike to Suter Falls and Horsepound Falls, connecting up with a historic trail and lovely rim walk back to the car.

Mountain Laurel and one of the many sketchy suspension bridges
IMG_8191.jpg

Savage Falls
IMG_8258.jpg

IMG_8272.jpg

Cascades above Savage Falls
IMG_8317.jpg

IMG_8322.jpg

IMG_8326.jpg

Rattlesnake Point
IMG_8368.jpg

Thank You...
IMG_8362.jpg

Suter Falls
IMG_8383.jpg

IMG_8388.jpg

Horsepound Falls
IMG_8400.jpg

IMG_8418.jpg

Rat snake
IMG_8440.jpg

The Stagecoach Historic Trail was built in the 1830's using slave labor. Not our finest moment but a mighty fine, and strenuous, trail. It's now on the National Register of Historic Places.
IMG_8439.jpg

Until next spring...
IMG_8374.jpg

https://tnstateparks.com/parks/about/south-cumberland

Last edited:
Missed this one till now. There are many great shots, I really like that first one of Suter falls.

Back