SAR in our national parks

balzaccom

I have absolutely no idea how I missed #1. Guessed 2,3, and 4, and my other guesses were #11 and #13. I kinda forgot about #5 to be honest, but it makes perfect sense.

I hate these types of click-bait articles that make generalizations about "the most dangerous park" without normalizing for park visitation or proximity to population centers, park usage characteristics, etc. In contrast, I found peer-reviewed article that breaks down factors associated with SAR incidents: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1080603221001599
Fair enough...although if the number of visitors alone were the difference, then Shenandoah would be way higher. This is all about how many times people call 911---and need some kind of professional rescue. That's certainly one measure of danger.

That said, I was surprised by #4, until I remembered what the tallest mountain there was. And why people wanted to climb it despite being unprepared for the experience.

I'd like to see serious versus not serious.... To many call cause they can ...

I made my contribution to #1 back in October. Hopefully I'll get around to writing it up before too much longer.

Back