Salt Creek Canyon Info

dhertbag

I’m planning a through hike of Salt Creek Canyon in the Needles District of Canyonlands NP starting May 31. We’ll be starting at Cathedral Butte and spending 3 nights in the canyon. I know this is getting to be a little late in the season as far as day time temps go and am looking for info on water sources. I’ve read that there is a reliable spring at the beginning on the hike, around the Kirk Cabin area, but haven’t been able to find much info beyond that. Does anyone know what I can expect that time of year when it comes to finding water? We’ll be camping at SC1, SC4 and Peekaboo. I don’t mind a little heat, but will obviously need h2o. Thanks.

Reliable at the upper jump and probably a little below that. My understanding is that there's always a little in the lower part of the canyon (below angel arch) but the NPS would be in a good position to confirm that before you go. Big snow year this year so you're in luck! Have fun :)

Reliable at the upper jump and probably a little below that. My understanding is that there's always a little in the lower part of the canyon (below angel arch) but the NPS would be in a good position to confirm that before you go. Big snow year this year so you're in luck! Have fun :)

Thanks LarryBoy. Between the Kirk cabin spring and upper jump we should be fine. We can carry a day or 2 worths of water if needed. Appreciate the info.

Back