Question about lighters

Pringles

OK, I feel like an idiot asking this, but... I have a couple of "electronic ignition" lighters. I really like them. I used to live at 720 feet altitude, and they were great. I got to Rocky Mountain National Park, and I had to go knocking on tent doors for a light, because my dear little lighter wouldn't light. Back home, it worked fine. Now I live at 4000 feet, and the lighters work fine, but when I go to Yellowstone for a weekend trip, I have to use matches because my electronic ignition wind proof lighter won't light. I assume it has to do with altitude, but I never hear anybody else mentioning that their lighters don't work. Bics work fine, just not the lighter I like. And, while I'm at it, the lighter on my Jetboil doesn't work either. So, tell me I'm not the only one, and if it is the altitude, at what altitude does this occur? Pringles

I've always stuck with bic lighters personally. Not elegant but they work. I also usually carry a firesteel as well for backup, although those take a bit more skill to use.

Agree on the cold conditions. I carry the lighter in my inside pocket of my down jacket to keep it warm and functional. I have also attached foot warmer pads to the fuel canister of my pocket rocket stove to get it to work in sub freezing temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back