Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc.

Jenny G

Hi, I am planning an extended trip backpacking north from Jackson Lake area through to the Yellowstone east entrance road, through part of the Thorofare and over Eagle Pass. I'm debating whether or not to start on the Pacific Creek trail or the North Buffalo Fork Trail to work my way to Two Ocean Pass at the beginning of the trip. If you're familiar with the two trails and would recommend one over the other, I'm all ears! Thanks a ton.

This is a question for @Kmatjhwy if she finds some internet service!

I've done both. You definitely don't want to do Pacific Creek if the trail is wet. Between the trailhead and the meadows, horse traffic has it beaten up pretty bad, and is pure hell if it is wet, with really few options to get off the trail. Both have their positives as far as scenery is concerned.

More old burned on Pacific. Personally Id go over two ocean from Turpin Meadows. Yellowstone Point is a great view but a scramble.
About halfway up Mountain Creek to Eagle Pass the west side old burn is really nuked.
Still get horses sometimes, Teton wilderness is outfitter country

I've done both. You definitely don't want to do Pacific Creek if the trail is wet. Between the trailhead and the meadows, horse traffic has it beaten up pretty bad, and is pure hell if it is wet, with really few options to get off the trail. Both have their positives as far as scenery is concerned.
That's helpful! Thanks a ton.

More old burned on Pacific. Personally Id go over two ocean from Turpin Meadows. Yellowstone Point is a great view but a scramble.
About halfway up Mountain Creek to Eagle Pass the west side old burn is really nuked.
Thanks a ton Bob! That's the way I'll go then.

Box Creek trailhead to Enos Lake is best. Lightly used but good; much more pleasant than the horse manure highways of Pacific Creek or N Buffalo

Thanks so much, that's a great tip. I'll consider going that way.
Assume you are going down Eagle Creek; hopefully you know that trail was rerouted now with two crossings of the Creek which can be dicey in higher water. Normally not an issue this time of year, but water levels pretty high at times this summer, with all the rain

Back