Novice Backpacker looking for a 5-6 trip in July!

MegMac

Hello!

My name is Meghan and I live in Northern California. Last summer my two sisters and I set out to go on our first backpacking trip and we conquered the Three Sister's Loop in Oregon(55 miles). We had such a great time and want to go on a similar trip this year so we were planning on doing the Highline Trail in the Uintas in mid-July. However, the late snow has ruined our plans so we are now desperately searching for a similar 5-6 day (~45-60 miles) we can do within a day's drive of Salt Lake City, UT. I'm looking into Southern Utah but then there is such an opposite extreme with heat in July and we would really prefer to hike somewhere that is not over 80 degrees and that has ample water sources. Also needs to be somewhere that does not require advance permits or reservations since this trip is now just a couple weeks away. I've looked a little bit at the Sawtooths in ID and various loops in Colorado but I keep running into snow and cold temps.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 5-6 day backpacking trip, within a day's drive of Salt Lake City, UT, that would be ok to do in mid-July? I'm desperate!!!!

The cdt trail from Big Sandy north may not have a bunch of snow... But would make up in mosquitos. There are lower trails on the east side in the sawtooths as well. Much over 9000 ft you will find snow

Yay! A northern Californian! I can't help you with Utah, since I live in CA too, but glad to have you!

Back