Need new poles

The carbon ones they sell at Costco are great and cheap (I think like $40 or so?). I doubt the really expensive brands are much different in any way

I just got a new pair of these:

I used to have a pair of these and they lasted years and years before I finally snapped one when it got trapped between a rock and some snow

subsequently I've been using adjustable poles and have broken about one pole a year, so I figured I'd go back to fixed-length ones.
Yeah still trying to decide between adjustable and fixed- length. Leaning towards fixed length for durability

Yeah still trying to decide between adjustable and fixed- length. Leaning towards fixed length for durability
I generally get 5,000 miles out of a pair of twist-lock poles. Unless you do a LOT of hiking, lifespan is not something you need to worry about with poles, adjustable length or otherwise.

The adjustable ones have several important advantages. First, you can easily stash them in the side pockets of your pack, which can be useful for scrambling. Second, you can use them for trekking-pole-shelters (a lot of us on this forum use these shelters---why pack additional tent poles?). Third, you can adjust the height differently for steep uphill vs steep downhill (and adjust it for different people)

I'll throw another vote towards those Cascade Mountain Tech carbon poles. I've probably used them for about 600 miles and they are holding up fine. Didn't realize they have them at costco as well. They also sell them on Amazon but it does look like they are cheaper at Costco.

Cascade Mountain Tech 100% Carbon Fiber Trekking Pole, 2-Pack it is then. Thanks for the help everyone!

I have both the Cascade Mt and BD carbon poles. The BD ones are definitely lighter and more compact (but far pricier). I tend to use them exclusively on overnighters and long day hikes. I've been using BD poles for ~7 years, and have yet to break one.

Back