Narrows: Which Campsite?

BPo001

I'm planning on backpacking the Narrows in early September. Which campsite do you recommend and why? Whats everyone favorite? I'm hoping to snag one at least half way through the trail to keep from a long hike out. TIA

I have only stayed in site #7 and would recommend trying to get a permit for a different site. #7 was a bit of a climb from the water convenience wise, wasn't completely flat, and really had no view. I remember site #1 looking pretty sweet but would make for a long second day but the nicest looking site was somewhere in the #9-#11 range (can't recall the exact #). It has a huge flat Boulder out in front of it that would be perfect for stargazing on, a sandy tent area behind it, and a great open view of the cliffs. It was also easy access to the river for camp stuff like filtering, cleaning, etc. Someone else here will probably know the site I'm describing.

You can go up Kolob creek past the Park boundary and camp at no site....not far.

I don't know in 12 is the nicest site but it is what I would go after if I were to do the narrows again. The reason being the # of people coming from the bottom up. The first day and the first portion of day 2 are really quite peaceful (people wise) because of the permits, however down below there are no permits but there are about 5 1/2 million people (estimate). If you make it all the way to site 12 on day 1 and get a nice early start on day 2, you can probably cover more ground in relative seclusion before you are swarmed. Then again I am an antisocial jerk so YMMV.

I only stayed at #12, I loved it. Right by big springs and there is a swimming hole right below. We all hammock camped yo. ⬇️
image.jpg

Back