Muddy Creek and Kane/Bullet

futurafree

I'm considering Allen's Muddy Creek or the Kane/Bullet Grand Gulch loop for a possible extra adventure during my April in Utah.
If high temperatures are in the mid-60's to mid-70's, will walking the Chute for all those hours be painfully cold or even hypothermia-inducing? Is it usually only ankle deep in mid/late April, or calf-high or worse?
I see Kane/Bullet is permitted, which often means heavy use. How crowded and how many groups did you see if you've been in high season?
Thank you for your help.

It's not that crowded - because it requires permits, and they're limited. You'll see a few groups. But it should still be reasonably quiet.

Try bullet to government trail. Other options other than Kane which gets a lot.

Try bullet to government trail. Other options other than Kane which gets a lot.
Government would also be a more peaceful dirt road walk back to my car vs the narrow paved highway to the ranger station. How do the ruins compare if I chose this alternate?

There are quite a few great loop hikes in this area. A variation on @Bob suggestion would be to exit Grand Gulch (just before the Government Trail) by going up Poly's Canyon all the way, bypassing the Government Trail.

Reactions: Bob
futurafree....... sent you a PM.

It's not that crowded - because it requires permits, and they're limited. You'll see a few groups. But it should still be reasonably quiet.
Just got back from Kane - Bullet and I beg to differ! I was surprised at just how many people we saw on the loop! I did it about 5 years ago and saw no one the whole time, but it seemed crazy busy to me this time. I won't be doing the loop again.

Just got back from Kane - Bullet and I beg to differ! I was surprised at just how many people we saw on the loop! I did it about 5 years ago and saw no one the whole time, but it seemed crazy busy to me this time. I won't be doing the loop again.
Thanks for the update! Is it mostly folks day-hiking from the top of each canyon? Or did they up the number of available permits?

Thanks for the update! Is it mostly folks day-hiking from the top of each canyon? Or did they up the number of available permits?
Lots of day hikers down Kane to Turkey Pen Ruin, Todie Canyon, Sheiks Canyon and Bullet Canyon, especially on the weekend. They haven't increased the amount of overnight permits (20 per day from each trailhead), but it sure seems like more people are using them now, which was not the case just a few years ago.

Lots of day hikers down Kane to Turkey Pen Ruin, Todie Canyon, Sheiks Canyon and Bullet Canyon, especially on the weekend. They haven't increased the amount of overnight permits (20 per day from each trailhead), but it sure seems like more people are using them now, which was not the case just a few years ago.
Uggh, that's so sad to hear. Another magical place getting ruined. Thanks for the update

Back