Mount Nutt Wilderness Cave Spring Area dayhike Nov 26, 2019

John Morrow

More of my simple explorations of some new country in the lower Colorado River Corridor. Mt Nutt Wilderness is due east of Bullhead City and has many dramatic spires and buttes. My hike began at the 2WD access parking of Cave Spring TH. Trails are cairned. Not official I do believe but the wild burros seem to construct trails that rival nicely maintained ones.
Head for the notch at the back of the valley (not where Cave Spring is located). Then I rounded Pt 4201 and traveled southward, eventually scrambling pleasant gully and slab the north face of House Mountain to its summit with great views!

Just beyond the TH...to the saddle
by John Morrow, on Flickr

through the saddle

View west (left mtn called witches hat)

<
Mt Nutt crest to south

After House Mountain I headed north on wonderful open desert terrain to two short towers that had great scrambling on them: 1st up north gully of Pt. 3955.

Heading down that way

House Mtn from 3960;

Afterward I went 3/4 of the way back around Pt 3955 to a nice scramble up the south slope of Pt. 3960. Moderate angle rock ribs make for great solid scrambling and avoids the loose slopes.

solid scramblin on 3960; south slope

arch and 3955;
49179464972_146142d9fa_b.jpg

parting look by John Morrow, on Flickr

Retraced my steps back to the trailhead. Great little lollipop loop. This wilderness deserves more attention. Rest of the pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/23557848@N03/albums/72157712091293988

Last edited:
Back