Missing Hiker on Kings Peak

Nick

-
upload_2014-9-9_14-0-50.png

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=31488406

DUCHESNE COUNTY — Search and rescue teams were searching for a missing hiker on Kings Peak Tuesday morning.

Paul C. Young, 73, of Salt Lake City was reported missing Tuesday morning after his family said he didn’t return home from a hiking trip, according to Summit County officials.

Young was last seen in Salt Lake City on Sept. 5 before he traveled to the Henry's Fork Trailhead. The family described Young as an avid outdoorsmen in good health. Summit County officials said Young was believed to have food and water and appropriate clothing for the area.

A Department of Public Safety helicopter and 11 search and rescue members were deployed to Kings Peak to search for the man. A Summit County Search and Rescue member located a vehicle at the trailhead that was registered to Young, officials said.

The weather conditions were poor during the search. Kings Peak is the highest mountain in Utah with an elevation of 13,528 feet.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.

Seriously, I would rather die on the trail than rotting away in a nursing home. I seriously hope I am able to do something like that when I am his age.

Back