Looking for best multi-day Backpacking Trips near Livingston, MT

ghsmith76

The Adventure Continues
I am planning to spend about 3 weeks backpacking around Livingston, MT at the end of June through the middle of July of 2022. There appear to be many great trails in the Beartooth Mountains so I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I think I will also checkout the Crazy Mountains. Would also encourage anyone else interested to consider joining me.

Last edited:
I am planning to spend about 3 weeks backpacking around Livingston, MT at the end of June through the middle of July of 2022. There appear to be many great trails in the Beartooth Mountains so I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I think I will also checkout the Crazy Mountains. Would also encourage anyone else interested to consider joining me.
I have no info about the Beartooths, but I wanted to let you know I enjoyed your website. :)

Hello! A lot of people like the “Beaten Path” in the Beartooths. Early season you could run into snow. However it is soooo beautiful! Lots of waterfalls and lots of options for distance and places to camp.

The Crazies are my favorite! I swear I’ve had outer body experiences in those mountains because I find them to be so enchanting! From the east side you can check out Twin Lakes from the Blue Moon campground, or any of the other lakes in that area. Even just driving into this range makes me want to cry in happiness! From the west side, my favorite place in the crazies is Campfire Lake, however it might be inaccessible that time of year due to a giant snowdrift that persists sometimes until August. This will depend on our snowpack this year. IF you are around when the high elevation snowpack has melted, you can to a traverse of the entire Crazy Mountain range (would require a shuttle though, or swapping keys with someone in the middle).

Probably the most popular trail near Livingston is Pine Creek Lake. You get to a great waterfall right away, and can continue up to the amazing lake for a 16 mile round trip. It is very popular though, I’m not sure I’d want to backpack there just bc of the amount of traffic. But it would be a great long day hike for you if you are in Livingston.

There are soooo many places in these areas! I’d suggest grabbing a map of the Beartooths and start dreaming!

Also, just driving the Beartooth Highway itself is so cool! It opens generally on Memorial Day weekend, weather permitting.

Hello! A lot of people like the “Beaten Path” in the Beartooths. Early season you could run into snow. However it is soooo beautiful! Lots of waterfalls and lots of options for distance and places to camp.

The Crazies are my favorite! I swear I’ve had outer body experiences in those mountains because I find them to be so enchanting! From the east side you can check out Twin Lakes from the Blue Moon campground, or any of the other lakes in that area. Even just driving into this range makes me want to cry in happiness! From the west side, my favorite place in the crazies is Campfire Lake, however it might be inaccessible that time of year due to a giant snowdrift that persists sometimes until August. This will depend on our snowpack this year. IF you are around when the high elevation snowpack has melted, you can to a traverse of the entire Crazy Mountain range (would require a shuttle though, or swapping keys with someone in the middle).

Probably the most popular trail near Livingston is Pine Creek Lake. You get to a great waterfall right away, and can continue up to the amazing lake for a 16 mile round trip. It is very popular though, I’m not sure I’d want to backpack there just bc of the amount of traffic. But it would be a great long day hike for you if you are in Livingston.

There are soooo many places in these areas! I’d suggest grabbing a map of the Beartooths and start dreaming!

Also, just driving the Beartooth Highway itself is so cool! It opens generally on Memorial Day weekend, weather permitting.
Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing my research, viewed all of the MyOwnFrontier videos for the area, and have concluded that July is too early. So I have rearranged my summer to hit the Livingston area at the end of August to early September. I will actually coordinate the trip with my drive back east for my 50th HS Reunion. I'm not opposed to high traffic in bear country when I am solo. Also looks like stream crossings and bugs will be far better later in the summer. The Adventure Continues

Get off the beaten path.... Most of the Beartooths are easy cross country and way less people. A little farther away is the Lee metcalf and the gallatins ...even Yellowstone. Pioneers, tobacco roots

Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing my research, viewed all of the MyOwnFrontier videos for the area, and have concluded that July is too early. So I have rearranged my summer to hit the Livingston area at the end of August to early September. I will actually coordinate the trip with my drive back east for my 50th HS Reunion. I'm not opposed to high traffic in bear country when I am solo. Also looks like stream crossings and bugs will be far better later in the summer. The Adventure Continues

Mid July in Beartooths Yellowstone Gallatins are fine... Unless a real big snow late

Back