Late May suggestions for 100ish mile backpacking trip

tomcat32

Looking for some suggestions for a scenic, worthwhile backpacking destination around Memorial Day.
I'm looking for a 50- 100 or so mile trip around memorial day with good scenery. While I am looking for alpine, I know most alpine destinations are still pretty snowy late may. And strictly desert can be pretty hot and dry by then.
The areas I've been eyeballing are the Gila/Aldo Leopold Wildernesses and possibly Tonto NF in AZ
I'm pretty much open to anywhere out west. UT, AZ, NM, MT, ID, WY, ETC Although CA, OR, WA may be to far.
Given that I'd be out over memorial weekend, I'd probably want to avoid NPs or anywhere with tough permits as well.
I don't really want execessive snow or heat. I have plenty on my summer time hiking list, just having a hard time finding something suitable for my next block of free time this time of year.

Looking for some suggestions for a scenic, worthwhile backpacking destination around Memorial Day.
I'm looking for a 50- 100 or so mile trip around memorial day with good scenery. While I am looking for alpine, I know most alpine destinations are still pretty snowy late may. And strictly desert can be pretty hot and dry by then.
The areas I've been eyeballing are the Gila/Aldo Leopold Wildernesses and possibly Tonto NF in AZ
I'm pretty much open to anywhere out west. UT, AZ, NM, MT, ID, WY, ETC Although CA, OR, WA may be to far.
Given that I'd be out over memorial weekend, I'd probably want to avoid NPs or anywhere with tough permits as well.
I don't really want execessive snow or heat. I have plenty on my summer time hiking list, just having a hard time finding something suitable for my next block of free time this time of year.

Gila will be getting kind of toasty by end of May.

Back