Lake Mead NRA and Sloan Canyon NCA summit and vista hikes. Nov 21-25, 2021

John Morrow

Continuing southward I did my usual stops sampling a selection of regions of Lake Mead National Recreation Area and at Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area not far outside of Vegas.

Nov 21st was on the Northshore. I did a couple short and quick scrambles on an uplifted and tilted ridge: Knife and Slabs Peaks.

Northshore Lake Mead NRA
by John Morrow, on Flickr

Looking back

Along the ridge crest

On Knife Peak

East Ridge descent

Knife Peak

Nov 22nd I drove to the Southshore area of Lake Mead, on the Nevada side. As long as riff raff doesn't bother one trying to sleep, there is a nice dispersed camp overlooking the Black Canyon Wilderness, which I used as a trailhead. This road and camp is known as RD 58, Canyon Point. From there my goal was a rim hike overlooking the Colorado River Gorge to a wilderness highpoint.

Weeping Spring Canyon (side canyon of Black)

Black Canyon Wilderness

view SE

Funnest part may have been a random rock art find:

surprise!

Nov 23rd I returned to an area I really like for its interesting rock, further south along the Nevada side of the River in a wilderness called Eldorado Wilderness, Eldorado Mountains.

I connected a loop to a well known natural bridge at a spring with a couple interesting peak scrambles.

Trail to Bridge Spring Bridge

the bridge

Arch in Eldo Mtns

summit far away

CO River valley

sun has set

Nelson BM highpoint scramble

Nov 24th I ventured SW and around to the lesser used Trailhead for the Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area known as Hidden Valley. I started late in the day up a highpoint for a late afternoon view.

East toward N. McCullough Mtns

Hidden Valley far and below

Good camping at the Trailhead, without riff raff.

Nov 25th was extremely windy with a cold front coming in. I got an early start getting the tent down and moving. Destination, another highpoint and search for any potential rock art. There was a nice panel enroute.

bright early morning

heading back

Return to the wash

P1010392

P1010394

All of these hikes were relatively casual, short distance, and not a ton of vertical. Eldorado was likely the longest and most involved yet under 10 miles.

maps available if you like.

Photos:

Back