Kings Peak Trip

K2

Planning for a Kings Peak counter clockwise loop starting and ending at China Meadows from October 18-22. Anyone know what the trails are like? I know the temps were low and snow came.

If anyone is from this area and gets any information on this area as the temps start to go back up this week could you let me know what it looks like?

Thanks,
K2

I do have a couple backup spots routed. If anyone gets an update this weekend on the trails from China meadow to kings peak please let me know.

K2

I do have a couple backup spots routed. If anyone gets an update this weekend on the trails from China meadow to kings peak please let me know.

K2
It's not even a question of those specific trails. The reality is that it's knee-to-crotch deep postholing above 12k in the Uintas right now. A couple feet of unconsolidated snow atop talus and boulders is an excellent way to give yourself a catastrophic lower leg injury. Unless you're prepared with snowshoes, the season is over in the highest of the High Uintas. :(

Last edited:
I just came through the E. Uintas today and I can verify that there's a LOT of snow up there. From Wyoming where you can see most of the range, it looks like it got really dumped on, totally white all the way down to the base of the peaks.

Last edited:
It's not even a question of those specific trails. The reality is that it's knee-to-crotch deep postholing above 12k in the Uintas right now. A couple feet of unconsolidated snow atop talus and boulders is an excellent way to give yourself a catastrophic lower leg injury. Unless you're prepared with snowshoes, the season is over in the highest of the High Uintas. :(
I just about broke my ankle in 3-4" of snow on fairly sturdy piles of large rocks today. And I was only walking maybe 100 feet horizontally on them. Hated every second of it. Can't imagine doing more than that in snow several times deeper.

Back