Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring

XID_AZ

I'm planning a solo simple out and back backpack trip mid-late October, where I'll come in from Jumpup Cabin, down Ranger and then over Jumpup-Nail-Trail and descend into Sowats.
My hope is to setup camp near Mountain Sheep Spring and then day-hike down Jumpup canyon and return to camp that night and hike out the next day.

Couple questions:
1. Has anyone been by Mountain Sheep Spring recently and know if it's still a consistent flow?
2. What's the state of any ladders in Jumpup that might let me shortcut back up to the Ranger trail without the climb out of Sowats?

1. I went early this May and a ranger told me Mountain Sheep was perennial. Good ledge camps with pictos just above spring on left LDC.
2. I didn't go to the ladder, but I heard it was now a rope. Apparently, it changes periodically.
If you have time, I'd add 2 nights camping at or above Showerbath and day hike down to Scotty's Hollow. You'd need a GCNP permit, which are pretty easy to get.

Been through Kanab a couple times, Deer Creek thru Kanab out Snake. Sowats, Kanab up Cranberry, around Fishtail back out Sowats... ..none recent tho. Havent been up the ladder.... anywhere else I may be able to answer stuff.

1. I went early this May and a ranger told me Mountain Sheep was perennial. Good ledge camps with pictos just above spring on left LDC.
2. I didn't go to the ladder, but I heard it was now a rope. Apparently, it changes periodically.
If you have time, I'd add 2 nights camping at or above Showerbath and day hike down to Scotty's Hollow. You'd need a GCNP permit, which are pretty easy to get.

Thanks, that's what I thought I've read about the spring, so good to get confirmation. I'm really doing this as an exploratory hike to see if I would want to do something longer in that area. Showerbath looks amazing, but not on the agenda this time. I really like the Esplanade layers, so if I return I want to make sure include them into a loop.

Did you come down the Ranger trail or come from the Sowats point side? Thought about that when I was planning this, but wasn't a fan of the steep accent/decent that it seems to require.

Any perspective that you or @Bob can add is appreciated.

Guarantee you will want to do longer ...although it's more crowded now than when I was going... It's one of my top places. I'd suggest the deer creek to sowats .... Not tough.

Thanks, that's what I thought I've read about the spring, so good to get confirmation. I'm really doing this as an exploratory hike to see if I would want to do something longer in that area. Showerbath looks amazing, but not on the agenda this time. I really like the Esplanade layers, so if I return I want to make sure include them into a loop.

Did you come down the Ranger trail or come from the Sowats point side? Thought about that when I was planning this, but wasn't a fan of the steep accent/decent that it seems to require.

Any perspective that you or @Bob can add is appreciated.
I entered/exited at JumpUp Cabin. I intended to make a huge loop and return from the west, but the temps were pushing 100 and I chose to stay near known water and retrace my steps for the exit. The descent was very gentle until a short constructed section when you steeply drop down just up-canyon from Mountain Sheep, and that was brief. The road was surprisingly good to the cabin until the last 100 meters or so. Lots of snakes out there.

A few good reports on here. .. search kanab creek

Back