Jarbidge Wilderness

canadug

Has anyone backpacked in the Jarbidge Wilderness in North-Eastern Nevada? I have found some information on the internet but not a whole lot. Looks like an amazing isolated area that sees few people. Hoping to explore that region this August.

Last edited:
Isolated ... Yes. Not many trail. Sparse water

here's a report I posted a few years ago https://blog.regehr.org/archives/1832 that (iirc) comments a bit on trail quality. which was highly variable, definitely plan on doing some routefinding. also do a web search for "jarbidge" and "fretwater" -- that's a blog that has a couple of posts that also talk about trail quality. when I was there (midsummer) there was a lot of water around, my usual desert-style approach to water is to filter a lot of it at a time and that wasn't necessary, we basically just grabbed a liter or two using my friend's befree bottle every now and then -- saved on the carrying and also this meant we got cold water to drink.

and don't search for "jarbridge" it's "jarbidge"

also I ran across a nasty nest of ticks while off-trail. ticks in Nevada!!! I was pulling them off of me for like 2 days. my friend didn't get a single one, must have been an isolated pocket.

Maybe you're a tick magnet ... Lol
I'm a magnet for everything that sucks blood. just got back from the Capitol Reef area and even though the wind was incessant I have a bunch of cedar gnat bites.

back to Jarbidge: Mike White's Backpacking Nevada book has a route or two there

Quick serch found this :

jar.jpg

here's a report I posted a few years ago https://blog.regehr.org/archives/1832 that (iirc) comments a bit on trail quality. which was highly variable, definitely plan on doing some routefinding. also do a web search for "jarbidge" and "fretwater" -- that's a blog that has a couple of posts that also talk about trail quality. when I was there (midsummer) there was a lot of water around, my usual desert-style approach to water is to filter a lot of it at a time and that wasn't necessary, we basically just grabbed a liter or two using my friend's befree bottle every now and then -- saved on the carrying and also this meant we got cold water to drink.

and don't search for "jarbridge" it's "jarbidge"
:) After I posted this I realized it was Jarbidge not Jarbridge :) I really like getting to places 'Off the beaten path'! Enjoyed reading about your trip out there....Thanks.

Back