International Backpacking: Where to Store my Junk?

Miya

Because I am able.
Hey Guys,

My friend and I are planning a two or three week trip to Norway next year. We are planning on doing at least a week of backpacking and then want a week of luxury, (e.g. fancy hotels, expensive food, sparkly dresses, and unnecessarily high heels).

I know we have plenty of time to plan, however my friend is pretty worried about our luggage. Obviously, we don't want to carry unnecessary items while backpacking. I REASSURED her it should be easy to figure out a place to store our luggage while we journey across the land. However, I have been trying to figure it out and am empty handed.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Can we pay the hotel to store our stuff, or a hostel, or a...train station...?
I don't know, but I would appreciate any information.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Sorry. Beats me....

Any time we backpacked in Alaska we had our car or a rental car to leave our stuff in.

Most airports have a left luggage service where you can store luggage for a fee. Might be worth looking into...

I haven't been to Norway, but in Patagonia we would stay at the same hostel at the start and end of each backpack and they had a place to store our extra things while we were on the trail. It seemed like a common request for them.

River and Don!
That is really all I needed to hear. I had told my friend the same thing, but I was just guessing. I figured lots of other people have the need.
Thanks so much!

Curious as to where you are thinking of backpacking? My wife and I are heading there in August and were thinking of spending some time backpacking. We are going to have a rental car, so we will just be stashing our stuff in there.

At least in the US and Peru, post offices will hold packages mailed to them for 30 days. Worst case just mail it to the point in the town you'll be in, care of general delivery

Curious as to where you are thinking of backpacking? My wife and I are heading there in August and were thinking of spending some time backpacking. We are going to have a rental car, so we will just be stashing our stuff in there.

No set plans for right now, since we just started planning.
We are probably going to rent a car, start at the southern most part of Norway and make our way north. We want to visit the artic, and we might head into Sweden and leave from there.
You will be going way before us, make sure to update me on the trip! :) I would love to get firsthand advice! I know we will be limited in some areas since we are going in April, and certain areas require a guide during that time of year.
We plan on buying Krones in advance since the US dollar is worth so much more right now.

In the Athens Greece airport, there are a couple "services" that will shrink wrap your bags (for safety?) and then store them for pick up later. This only is convenient if you are going to be passing back through the airport on your way to the next destination.

I'd be shocked if you could not work out something with a hotel that you plan on staying at.

Norway looks like a beautiful place. Wish i could stow away. Good luck on all the planning.

It should definitely be an experience! The worst part will be this waiting...

Back