Heart Lake, Montana

It seems like there are thousands of Heart Lakes.... Even in the area where we went, there are 3 Heart Lakes with in a 20 mile stretch just in Montana, not to mention the one just across the border in Idaho.

We went to the one I am calling "Big" Heart Lake.

It's just south of Superior, Montana on the Idaho / Montana border.

It is a very popular destination, so we waited till the end of the season to check it out. The trail in to the lake is only about 5 miles long and a gentle grade. Just like most alpine lakes, the trail gets steeper as you near the lake. It's not a tough climb though.

The views around the lake are outstanding! On the southwest side of the lake, the rock wall climbs high above the lake and serves as the border between Idaho & Montana.

It was a snowy trip as there was a little snow at the lake when we got there and then it snowed on us the first night. It was blowing and cold the next morning and all my thoughts were about gathering wood and keeping our fire going.

The weather broke in the afternoon and I took advantage of it and hiked up to another lake that is just above Heart Lake called, Pearl Lake. It was a pretty easy walk with a little hill that you had to get up.

On the walk out the weather turned our way and we got a beautiful sunny day to hike out in.

Great spot. Was here on the fourth of July 2018, saw a whole string of mountain goats up on the MT/ID Ridgeline.

Great spot. Was here on the fourth of July 2018, saw a whole string of mountain goats up on the MT/ID Ridgeline.

Nice! I loved this lake. I think that we'll be back next year, but probably just passing through as there are a lot of great routes you can make in the this area.

Looks great! That's an area I was never even aware of. Great video!

Looks great! That's an area I was never even aware of. Great video!

Thank you! Using the state line trail that is right on top of the ridge above the lake, you can access a lot of great country in the area. Quite a few different routes there!

Back