Fly Fishing in SE Idaho

swmalone

We are heading to Yellowstone again in a few weeks and I was going to do some fishing along with the hiking but I noticed that they doubled the price of the park fishing license. I decided I don't want to pay that much when we are primarily going for a hiking trip.

So what I was wondering was about any wade fly fishing locations in Idaho along the route back. When I do searches I obviously see the big name rivers but most of the information concerns floating trips.

Just hoping some of you might be able to point me in the right direction. Since it will be on the way home the closer to the highways/freeways would make my wife more likely to go along with it.

Thanks in advance.

Might be one of the most obvious, below Pallisades in Swan Valley. I haven't fished there in a real, real long time, but it sure was fun- meaning we caught big trout. I think that trip we also fished somewhere along the Salt River above Pallisades, but I don't know what river access is like there now.
Also the Salt I guess is in Wyoming, looking at the map.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. I already have the Idaho license so that is why I wanted to limit it to Idaho. The combo of the doubling of the price of the Yellowstone permit and the restrictions on fishing times has made it so I am looking at other options for a couple hours of fishing on the way home.

Any suggestions for easy wading access along Highway 20?

I know next to nothing about fly fishing, but having driven that stretch of road more times than I can count, I've seen plenty of people at various points out on the Henry's Fork in Island Park. Might be good and wadeable near the Riverside Campground. I often see people on it out near Last Chance too.

If you want to go more out of your way, the Madison up near Three Dollar Bridge is a good spot for wading. It may be a bit crowded especially if it's a weekend, but it's great fly fishing from what I hear.

Thanks. I have found a bit of info about wade fishing the Henry's Fork near Island Park and Last Chance. I think I will try to find a couple spots along there to try.

Back