Fighting the crowds - July in Page AZ and Escalante UT

Antlerking

Every year my Mom's side of the Family take off on trips around the west. This year we decided to take the family and follow them down to Northern Arizona and Escalante. I've yet to do Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon due to the popularity, with that said, it was time to get them over with. Traveling with two young kids we made plenty of stops on the way. Antelope Canyon was amazing, the amount of people in there makes me never want to go back during the summer months. It was a freaking ZOO, if you have Asians in your party...make sure you have your tripod tied to you. I had my tripod hit 40 times that I counted, 30 of them sent it flying. I had my hand within 2" of the tripod the whole time so I was able to grab it. Even with the masses it was worth the trip.

Horseshoe Bend was awesome. I shot it twice while I was down there. The first morning there was only two Russians from New York and myself. The next evening as the sunset we enjoyed the view with the summer masses. After we were done in Page we drove up to Escalante and hit Calf Creek.

Enjoy the pics.96_cliff-dwellers_hdr_34%.jpg170_marble-canyon_panorama_b&w.jpg

215_horseshoe-bend_Panorama_b&w_20%.jpg

337_horseshoe-bend_Panorama_21.5%.jpg415_antelope-canyon_sun-spots_25%.jpg435_antelope-canyon_light-dust_25%.jpg454_antelope-canyon_30%.jpg469_antelope-canyon_sunspot_sand-fall_25%.jpg488_antelope-canyon_sun-spots_b&w_25%.jpg576_antelope-canyon_25%.jpg600_antelope-canyon__entrance_33%.jpg633_calf-creek-falls_25%.jpg654_calf-creek-falls_fremont-granary_25%.jpg626_calf-creek-falls_pictographs.jpg668_100-hands-pictograph.jpg661_escalante-river-petroglyphs.jpg196_horseshoe-bend_Panorama_23%.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Antelope Canyon was amazing, the amount of people in there makes me never want to go back during the summer months.

Hate to break it to you, but I just went a few weeks ago and it's not much better in the winter. I don't plan on ever going back during any season. I can't imagine how many people they pack in there during the summer, though!

Whoa, how'd this one sneak past me last night?! Great shots, Ladd! After all I've heard about Antelope, I'm thinking I'll probably never see it. Beautiful though!

Fantastic shots! The one of all the hands moves me the most-something timeless about that one. I went to Lower Antelope in late June and my friend and I almost had it to ourselves. No lightbeams, but the colors and textures are really beautiful in that one.

p.s. you don't happen to live in Kanab, do you?

Fantastic shots! The one of all the hands moves me the most-something timeless about that one. I went to Lower Antelope in late June and my friend and I almost had it to ourselves. No lightbeams, but the colors and textures are really beautiful in that one.

p.s. you don't happen to live in Kanab, do you?

I wish I lived in Kanab, I love that area. I wish they had jobs in Healthcare down there, I would move tomorrow.

I wish I lived in Kanab, I love that area. I wish they had jobs in Healthcare down there, I would move tomorrow.

I know a Ladd who lives there. I've never met anyone named that before and now I've met two in Utah in the space of 6 months.

Great shots, I really love the Page area.
I've never been to Upper Antelope Canyon because the crowds on the parking lot always scared the hell out of me.
I hate overcrowded places.
I went to Lower Antelope Canyon instead and always had it by myself. And there are light beams as well

Back