Escalante access from Fortymile Ridge

Nick

-
Does anyone know of, or remember reading about, access to the Escalante River from Fortymile Ridge south of Coyote Gulch? Preferably close to Rose/Cow/Fence canyons on the others side. I can't seem to find any info in any books and the sat imagery is messed up on the east canyon wall in that area so no chance of spotting an access that way. Here's a map of where I'm wondering about. The red line shows the area where I'd like to find a way down. The top end of the area looks promising...

Haha ...... can get down anywhere with a long enough piece of rope....... :roflmao:

I kinda looked, you are right even my old GE that side of canyon is messed up. May get down but would be harder getting back out. Almost looks like just below your redline maybe. Why not just go around from the Coyote Gulch trail at the confluence.

I think it would not be a very pleasant hike down the Escalante. And long too! I've heard the silt beds from powell are pretty bad through there. Thought it would be awesome if there was a route down a little closer. With all the cattle trails in the area, you never know!

Not from Powell, from the Coyote Gulch Crack access parking, looks to be about 5 miles down into where you want to go.. Just not in spring runoff. I'm sure there is some silt and tamarisk.

Right, but the high water mark of Powell goes all the way up past the mouth of Coyote. I've heard downstream from there it get gets pretty bad. And still a big added distance compared to a possible overland route. :)

For now, I'm putting those 3 canyons into my 'if the lake gets pretty full' list of to-do's.

I'd consider it if the lake stays low........

Ha! Just to be clear, I didn't mean high like INTO it, more like higher to avoid miles of silt beds and bushwhacking. :)

Back