Dayhiking Great Sand Dunes NP

Wanderlust073

Day-hiking with a heavy ass backpack... lol.

I had planned on heading out towards Grand Junction this weekend, but forecasts for 40+ mph winds (with 100+ in the mountains between here and there) had me search out somewhere a little less gusty. Sand Dunes fit the bill.

Very challenging hiking. Some spots on the dunes had a bit of snow on them and held together under footsteps, but mainly it was like hiking on the stairmaster from hell. You have to get up and over the first ridge in order to camp. They don't want to see any tents facing the visitor center/road. It's a 700-800 ft hump and a lot of back and forth while trying to find a line of approach that will carry you.

Unfortunately the forecast was off. Winds were very high (though temps were a pleasant twenty degrees higher as well), and it clouded up. Look forward to going back to actually put my backcountry permit to use, and hopefully get some serious eye-candy sunsrise/sunset/milky-way shots. It was still nice to be out carrying a pack, and I got to glimpse a couple places I plan on visiting when things melt out (Spanish Peaks and the Sangre de Cristo range)

Anyway here is a dump out of lightroom:

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1559.jpg

Teasing me!

Melt! Melt I say!

I've dayhiked West Sprnish Peak a couple dozen or so times, much fun. East is wicked rugged, hard, miserable. Cuatro Peak is awesome. Get your Okie/Tejan Translation book.

Back