Could you do this in 4 days? (WITH POLL!)

What difficulty would you rate this route for a 4 day hike (1 to 5)

• Total voters

Ryan

Hey all, I am planning a 4 day, 3 night backpacking trip in the Sawtooths. I am a beginnerish backpacker. I have done some 12+ mile days in RMNP and on the John Muir trail.

I have planned a loop in Sawtooths and I am having some trouble finding information about the route such as distances, average time and difficulty. I mapped the route on Google earth and came up with 28 miles, so I am assuming the true distance is probably close to 35-40miles? There is quite a bit of elevation change as well. This would put me at 8 - 10 mile days

I am attaching a google earth .kmv and route image with topo profile and would greatly appreciate it if anyone was able to look over the route and give me any feedback on if my goals are realistic or if the route is more challenging than I think it will be.

Attachments

• SawtoothLoop.kmz
    24.6 KB · Views: 19
  • sawtoothPath_topo.PNG
    sawtoothPath_topo.PNG
    752.8 KB · Views: 39
Can't see it on my phone...I assume all trail? 4 probably would work. I'd go 4 nites tho...sawtooth are up and down and scenic to rush thru. I've found get your nap mileage and add 20%.....gets you closer to true amount

The trails you'll be hiking on are beautiful and well-graded. Very doable in 4 days.

I've never hiked there, but 35-40 miles in 4 days is a piece of cake. However until I got way more information on the trail I wouldn't even consider going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to what @LarryBoy said. Those trails are in great shape. Much prettier than anything in RMNP. And, lower elevation than JMT or the high country of RMNP. It'll be work, but easy as backpacking goes. Beautiful area!

Back