Boulder Mail Trail to Highway 12

John Mckean

I did this hike solo on Thursday. I stashed my Mt. bike at the bridge and drove to the groovy Boulder airport.

image.jpg

It wasn't long before Death Hollow was in sight.

image.jpg

Some green in the canyon

image.jpg

The canyon narrows

image.jpg

The confluence. Death Hollow on the right.

image.jpg

Escalante river canyon

image.jpg

image.jpg

My shuttle back to Boulder

image.jpg

It took me just under 8 hours to get to the bridge and 1.5 hours for the bike ride to the Boulder airport. This was the rough part. The wind was blowing hard the whole time making the Hogs back interesting. The hike is incredible with a little bit of everything. Didn't see a soul except for the last 2 miles.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Impressive! Thanks for sharing. Now you understand better than most why it used to take 2 weeks to travel from Boulder to Escalante before the paved road went in.

I Didnt know it took 2 weeks to travel from town to town. I love the history of this hike and the history of the Escalante area in general. Next, I wanna do the entire Boulder mail trail then the Eacalante rvier from town to the bridge in one day.

Wait....it took you less than 1 day to do this hike? I am planning on doing the Boulder airport to the highway 12 bridge July 10/11th.....Was planning on doing it in 2-3 days......Am I misunderstanding you?

Wait....it took you less than 1 day to do this hike? I am planning on doing the Boulder airport to the highway 12 bridge July 10/11th.....Was planning on doing it in 2-3 days......Am I misunderstanding you?

You will want the extra time. This is more of a run/endurance style go at it. Most of us don't go that fast.

Yes I did the hike in 8 hours but I never stopped. I have been to the area a few times and just had enough time for quick dose of it for this trip. 2 to 3 days is about perfect.

Back