Best Packrafting Paddle

Nick

-
What's the best packrafting paddle on the market right now? I'm looking for the lightest and able to break down into 4 pieces. So far I'm seeing the Aquabound Sting Ray and Manta Ray in carbon 4-piece models but not much else. At least not on Amazon, REI, NRS, Backcountry, etc. What say ye packraft masters?

Werner has some four-piece versions but it seems very few places stock them. I'm interested in this topic as well.

Yeah, I haven't been able to find those in-stock anywhere. And I think they're like $400 or something, right? That might be pushing it...

Yeah, I haven't been able to find those in-stock anywhere. And I think they're like $400 or something, right? That might be pushing it...

Werner stuff can get pricey but they have some really solid options in the $200-300 range.

i paddle a 4 piece Werner Sherpa, you can find them for $300. Its more of a whitewater paddle.
That Aqua-Bound 4 piece carbon looks good for general purpose floating.

I've used an Aqua-Bound 4 piece carbon as my packraft paddle. I think it's the Splat. It's been great except that the middle two pieces always seize up and get stuck together.

i know nick got hte aqua bound, but being a tiny person in a tiny boat i am concerned about weight. i have found these two that i am looking at: opinions? i know they are for more flatwater, but i'm not planning on doing anything super extreme. the kokopelli recommmended a paddle 190-200cm for me. here are my options...

Alpacka ninja - $115, 196 cm, 15oz , 4 pcs https://alpackarafts.com/product/ninja-paddle/
Supai adventure gear paddle - $150, 4or 5 pcs, 200cm, 12 oz!! http://supaiadventuregear.com/shop/paddle/

i really don't want to get anything heavier, but i also don't want to be taping a paddle back together on day 2 of a six day trip. any thoughts?

how tall are you @colefeet ? You might find the 200cm paddle to be too long. I'm 5'4" and use a 196cm for packrafting, 190cm for whitewater kayaking. Are just planing on paddling flatwater/easy class 2, or more?

The Ninja looks good. My only complaint about 4 piece paddles are all the places sand can get in there and gum up the springclips and sticking together, but so far its a small price to pay for packability.

how tall are you @colefeet ? You might find the 200cm paddle to be too long. I'm 5'4" and use a 196cm for packrafting, 190cm for whitewater kayaking. Are just planing on paddling flatwater/easy class 2, or more?

The Ninja looks good. My only complaint about 4 piece paddles are all the places sand can get in there and gum up the springclips and sticking together, but so far its a small price to pay for packability.

i'm 5'2", and would prefer the shorter paddle, but it seems a bit difficult to find anything that is NOT 200cm. i'm looking at more class II and below, and would probably only do sections with higher rapids if i could hike around them for now - i'm not much of a rafter as of yet... whitewater is not my thing unless someone else has the oars and i've got a giant cooler of beer.

Back