Anyone else take this in your FAK?

balzaccom

We've added one more item to our first aid kit for backpacking, but it's not something we suggest for everyone. As you may know, I am an avid cyclist. I try to ride just about every day for 15+ miles, and have regularly ridden over 5,000 miles a year.

But over the past few years, I've been stung by bees a few times, and each time the reaction to the sting has become more pronounced. The last time I was stung, about month ago, it was on the thigh, and my entire thigh swelled up to about 150% of it's normal size., and growing.

That's when I decided it was worth going to the doctor about this. The doctor prescribed some massive dosages of prednisone, and then asked me what I liked to do for fun. When I mentioned backpacking, the doc immediately prescribed a couple of epipens. He was concerned that if I were stung near my head by a bee, the reaction could easily prevent me from breathing, and I'd would be far from medical help. There's a happy thought.

So we've added this to our FAK for in the mountains, even though it adds a few ounces to our packs. Wonder if there is an ultralight version?

Get the Avui-q epi...... cheaper and like the size of cigarette pack..

Also a person usually needs two doses about 30 min apart..... and it still doesn't negate getting medical help, run out of epi in a severe attach and it can still be fatal. And the administering will hurt like hell.

Carry Benedryl capsules as well, you break them open and put it under your tongue for faster absorption...

I had never heard of Avui-q epi so I looked it up. It appears that they are having a recall because of dosing issues.

https://www.auvi-q.com/

Anyway, it does not say if Avui-q needs a prescription from a doctor. Is this true? If so, that would be awesome. I've had friends have doctors refuse to give them a prescription for epi-pens to carry around "just in case". I've been planning to ask my doctor about a prescription for epi-pens to carry with me. Something that doesn't require a prescription would be great, until some asshat figures out how to make meth with it.

All Epi needs a prescription..... Lady I teach EMT classes with husband has used them since they came out.....he really likes them AND has had to use it... Doctors usually won't give a prescription unless you can show a need.......you can kill someone using it wrong...

If you can find primateen tablets (used to be over the counter) they have epi in them.... used to be for asthma. I have a bottle I have had for many years.....

I usually take along Benadryl in the event of a bad reaction but I think I'll have to overstate my case to my doctor and see what happens.

Back