Any Beta in this Proposed Route Near Coffin Benchmark?

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
I'm investigating the feasibility of the route shown in purple between the Highline A Trail and Rainbow Lake? It's about 6.5 miles mostly above tree line, likely a ton rock walking. Anyone been across here?

Last edited:
This totally doesn't answer the question since I haven't actually been there. However, judging from other parts of the same ridge farther east and west, I've found that the rocks aren't really too terrible below about 12,100 or 12,200 - there's enough grass to make travel reasonable. So were I in your shoes, I'd go for it. The tippy top will certainly be rocky, as well as the steeper slope facing east (I'd probably summit the top rather than skirt it, even though skirting would be more direct), but the fingers extending north and SE I would expect to be not terrible.

Really hoping you do this, as it's one of the most remote spots in the Uintas and nobody really goes up there. It's on "the list"!

This totally doesn't answer the question since I haven't actually been there. However, judging from other parts of the same ridge farther east and west, I've found that the rocks aren't really too terrible below about 12,100 or 12,200 - there's enough grass to make travel reasonable. So were I in your shoes, I'd go for it. The tippy top will certainly be rocky, as well as the steeper slope facing east (I'd probably summit the top rather than skirt it, even though skirting would be more direct), but the fingers extending north and SE I would expect to be not terrible.

Really hoping you do this, as it's one of the most remote spots in the Uintas and nobody really goes up there. It's on "the list"!
I’m really tempted for sure. I like your suggestion of summiting the top. The east face might turn out to be no big deal once on site but that was my one concern of the route.

Weather was stellar but quite cold at night. Good thing I brought a down throw to put on top of my bag :) It was quite the crossing though.

Back