advice Grand Canyon backpacking Spring 2020

Glad you finally made it!

I hiked down hermit in '21, camped at Monument Creek & Granite Rapids. I've been losing the permit lottery, trying to get back out there every spring since.

View attachment 130227
Original poster here! Reliving this thread 4 years later to say….I finally made it! We did Hermits Rest TH to Monument Creek. Then night 2 at Hermit Creek with a side trip to the river at Hermits Rapids. That was what was available and I really enjoyed it. We started off with a spring snowstorm, which faded away by 11am. It left a cool vibe in the canyon, with the way the clouds were dangling around the temples.

At night there was a full moon that illuminated the whole place!

The trip from Hermit creek to Hermit Rapids was my favorite part. Loved it!!
Awesome to hear you finally made this trek!

Almost the last thing I did pre-pandemic was a 7-day trip down Tanner Canyon, up the Escalante Route, along the Tonto shelf, and out Bright Angel in late February 2020. I think we made it back to the top and cell service on March 1st only to find this pesky virus had become something much more serious, and by the time I got back to CO and my legs began to work again the whole world had shut down. For the longest time, it was my most recent kick-ass memory of doing anything outside the house, and four years later it still stands up as an all-timer.

Attachments

• GrandCanyon18.jpg
    GrandCanyon18.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 3
Back