5 days Green > Elk Wind River route advice August 17th

Which route?

• Day 2: Green River Pass sleep at Pass/elbow lake

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mmetzelaar

Hey everyone! Been lurking on the forums for some time gaining invaluable research for my upcoming trip to the Winds. Have a few routes planned out but wanted to get some advice on possible itineraries.

I asked on the Facebook Winds page but didn't get a lot of bites. Wondering what you all would choose if you could in terms of "epic" views. I have a lot of backcountry experience as does my wife but she doesn't like getting off trail. So Knapsack Col (as much as I want to do it) is off the table.

Soo my game plan is the following:

1. Green River > Day 1: Three forks (or Beaver Park) > Day 2: Peak Lake > Day 3: Through Shannon/ cube pass to Southern Island Lake Day 4: Cook Lake (which route: high route through Wall lake or down Highline?) Day 5: Out Pole Creek to Elkhart

Some choices that I hope can be solidified with advice from people who have done it.

1. Possibly do Green River pass instead of Shannon/Cube and camp at Pass/Elbow lake?

2. Instead of going to Cook lake stay an extra day in the Titcomb Basin area and hit Indian Pass. Leave on Seneca Trail

Here is a link to my CalTopo with options mapped. Click here to view on CalTopo
Thanks is advance for anyone who takes the time to read this slog of a post!

Personally, I'd spend an extra day in the Titcomb Basin and go for Indian Pass if time allows. Both the Titcomb and Indian basins are going to beat Cook Lakes for scenery. For the record, there is no official trail from the Island Lake area through the Wall Lake area.

Green River Pass/Summit Lake is a nice area, but for "epic" going through Shannon Pass is going to beat it.

Personally, I'd spend an extra day in the Titcomb Basin and go for Indian Pass if time allows. Both the Titcomb and Indian basins are going to beat Cook Lakes for scenery. For the record, there is no official trail from the Island Lake area through the Wall Lake area.

Green River Pass/Summit Lake is a nice area, but for "epic" going through Shannon Pass is going to beat it.

You rock! Thanks so much

Back