2018 River Permits

Did anybody win any river permits? Our group had 12 people apply for the Middle Fork of the Salmon, Main Salmon, and Yampa and everyone got skunked but me, I got a Middle permit for june 18th!!!! First time I've won in 3 years of trying.

2zyx7vk.jpg

NICE!!! And what a prime time for it! I'm super jealous! I got skunked again but others in my group had some luck. We picked up two San Juan permits and one Deso over Memorial weekend, although it looks like we're going to give up all but one San Juan because of timing. That's two years in a row getting lucky for @Dave, and last year he got the Yampa on his first try! I still have my fingers crossed for a Smith River permit and of course the 2019 Grand Canyon lottery results out tomorrow. Now I just need to pick up a cancellation or pre-season Lodore and we'll be in business.

I have no idea what any of this means! :p
But you seem excited, and sounds like you were patient, so congrats!! :frantic:

I have no idea what any of this means! :p
But you seem excited, and sounds like you were patient, so congrats!! :frantic:

In order to go rafting, you usually have to have a permit, especially for the more desirable rivers. And those permits are really, really tough to get. Thousands of people pay to enter lotteries and many of them have success rates in the single digits or worse. Like this trip last year where we probably had somewhere around a 1% chance of winning, @Dave won and it was AMAZING. I've heard of people going upward of 30 years in that particular lottery without ever winning.

I've heard of people going upward of 30 years in that particular lottery without ever winning.

Woah! I get annoyed when I have to get my backpacking permits a week in advance. Haha

Hope you win the other permits you put in for!

@Nick Nice! San Juan should be excellent! Do you have a packraft?

Nope. I had one but it was a bit small so I sold it after one trip. I'm ready to pull the trigger on another as soon as I have a use for it, I just haven't had anything come up. We'll be doing the SJ in rafts and duckies. Hopefully we get more snow to boost the flows up or it could be pretty low.

YaaaHHOOOOOO!!!! I picked up a Lodore permit when they got released to the calendar this morning!

Trying to login to see about the Smith River but I can't seem to figure out their new website. Anyone else figure that out?

You have to create a user name and password now.

So from https://myfwp.mt.gov/fwpExtPortal/login/login.jsp click "Create New User"

Then fill out the form, click create. When the form resets, go to your email and do the confirmation click (you can't log into the FWP site until this step is done)

Last edited:
Also I just checked (10:22 am MT time) and everything is still pending..............

So on the left there is a menu, click on "view my info" then another menu shows up in the middle. Click on drawing results. That's where it would show. Last year the results where up this time-ish to early afternoon, if I remember correctlyScreen Shot 2018-03-01 at 10.23.02 AM.png

that's weird. It shows pending still for both me and my boyfriend. I greatly dislike this new website/system they went with and I'm guessing it has a huge glitch somewhere.

I emailed them and they responded with this:

"The system is currently down as preparation for the drawing later today, this means that your application status or results will not be visible. Please check back in the evening for the results."

I scored an early May Upper San Juan permit, which I'm pretty excited about. Hoping the weather is mild enough to take my 5-year-old.

I drew a Smith river permit last year, so I personally didn't put enter this year, but am hoping someone else from the group scores. I agree with how painful the website is.

No luck on the Smith for me. I can't complain one bit though. I'd be thrilled if every lottery season was half as good as this one has been.

Back