Yurt trip?

DOSS

out
Thinking about picking a weekday (all weekends are full) at the end of February and seeing about getting a Yurt? http://www.brorayurts.org/yurts.htm Ski or snowshoe in take some pictures, drink some rye
Most of the yurts have bunks for 4 but some people can crash of the floor as well I am sure (max occupancy of 8)..

anyhow who is interested, we would want to reserve ASAP :)

I would be all over this if I could swing the weekday but no go. I looked into renting the yurts from BRORA, don't you have to jump through some hoops before you can actually rent them? I know there are some forest-service operated yurts over on the east side of the Uintas that you can reserve on Recreation.gov.

I would be all over this if I could swing the weekday but no go. I looked into renting the yurts from BRORA, don't you have to jump through some hoops before you can actually rent them? I know there are some forest-service operated yurts over on the east side of the Uintas that you can reserve on Recreation.gov.
I just talked with them and I can do the reservation over the phone and all should be good to go :)... but we can also look at those (but I am sure weekends are probably booked there as well).

I have a scheduled snowshoe / yurt trip coming up in January, 2013. We will be snowshoeing up Norway Flats to the TUNA Yurt. This will be my first yurt excursion, and I'm quite excited about the trip.

I never seen those yurts before, but that's quite a bit more expensive than the Forest Service yurts. Are they nice?

I never seen those yurts before, but that's quite a bit more expensive than the Forest Service yurts. Are they nice?

I'll have to let you know via a trip report after I return, as I've never seen it. I was invited through a contact I met in a SL Tribune discussion. Truthfully, I have never seen any of the yurts. This experience my cause me to start seeking them.

It sounds nice by how it's described: woodstove, cookstove, 4 bunkbeds, outhouse, etc.

Joe

...I know there are some forest-service operated yurts over on the east side of the Uintas that you can reserve on Recreation.gov.

funny you mention this, cuz i'll be at one of their yurts next weekend.

Yep, the Ashley National Forest (east uintahs) runs a top notch yurt / guard station system. i've experienced both the Limber Flag and Grizzly Ridge yurts and am especially impressed with latter.

i've been to Grizzly Ridge before and shortly after the 2008 rennovation, and man let me tell you, i think that thing, with its ammenities, rivals the dozen of privately operated yurts (sans the one with wood fired sauna) that i've been to in both utah and neighboring states. hell, the USFS even grooms your 3-mile approach (making it very family friendly, i've pulled some toddlers in a ski-pulk) and an additional 5ish miles of trail in and around the yurt for your skate/classic/combi x-country skiing pleasure, and the further addition of marked ungroomed trails, if you want to work up to a heart attack snowshoeing about, and theres plenty of gentle glades for those who want to get frisky and link turns.

and DOSS, the hook-line-sinker for you (basing my assumption from your avatar picture) would be the Little Brush Creek Cave system about 2+ miles from the yurt. a mark ungroomed trail takes you right to it. the ice crystal at the entrance are pretty wicked, however, i never bothered to explore the remainder 6-7 miles of cave. how badass would that be to mix up some wintertime activity with a bit of speleo action.

now the kicker is the cost: 30-bucks per group per night.how can you possibly beat that. hell, your lookin' at 50-100 bucks per person per night per yurt anywhere else in north america.

Grizzly Ridge yurt:
http://www.recreation.gov/camping/G...ractCode=NRSO&parkId=75153&topTabIndex=Search
http://www.yurtsofutah.com/yurt-pdf-files/Yurts22-24.pdf
Approach Trail:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5279508.pdf
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5279511.pdf
Little Brush Creek Cave: http://www.mojaveunderground.com/wiki/index.php?title=Little_Brush_Creek_Cave

Book now: http://www.recreation.gov/camping/G...ode=NRSO&parkId=75153&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

Funny I see this today.. I am actually going to Limberflag tomorrow with my wife.. can't go into little brush creek this time as the wife doesn't do so well in enclosed spaces :(