Yellowstone's Mount Washburn -- September 8th 2024

TractorDoc

I have made a goal of trying to visit Yellowstone the week after Labor Day for several years now. My hope is that most kids will be back in school, the elk will be bugling, and cool nights are complimented by crisp, sunny days.

A portion of the trip is usually set aside for the backcountry, but while planning last year Mrs.TractorDoc stated she'd like to join me on this year's trip. She is up for a nice hike and has a good appreciation for the outdoors, but roughing it in the backcountry is slightly out of her comfort zone. I subject her to plenty of things outside of her comfort zone in everyday life, so I was happy to make some adjustments to this year's trip and book nights spent in the park's cabins vs. campsites.

We tackled several nice day hikes during the trip. My original intent for our first day was to ease her in with a short hike to Mystic Falls, then target Mount Washburn sometime later in the week. A look at the forecast predicted questionable weather the day I planned for Washburn though, so I bumped it up in the queue.

After a good breakfast at the Old Faithful Inn with none other than Mr. and Mrs. @scatman we drove up and over to the Dunraven Pass Trailhead. The park service revamped this area in the last number of years -- in hindsight I should have taken a picture.

Trailhead information. Mrs.TractorDoc was eyeing that "bear frequenting area" sign. :)

0O7A5528.JPG

She needed not worry as the largest forms of wildlife we'd encounter today could fit in a shoe box.

0O7A5537.JPG

Our destination was in sight. I don't mind climbing/hiking to high places -- as long as I'm not too close to the edge. I noticed the part of the trail that wrapped around the knob on the upper right. I could see people on there and it looked pretty close to the edge.

0O7A5538.JPG

Can you see the Clark's Nutcracker stuffing its beak with White Bark Pine nuts?

0O7A5542.JPG

The day was a bit hazy/smoky, but nice views were available depending on the angle of the sun. A view that I think is generally Northwest.

0O7A5545.JPG

The lookout/cell tower/visitor center/destination is getting closer. Really it is.

0O7A5548.JPG

I think this view is from that high part of the trail close to the edge I noted earlier. You can see the trail we hiked up (brown), Grand Loop Road, and even Hayden Valley in thru the haze.

0O7A5551.JPG

View South toward the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Haze/smoke was heaviest in this direction.

0O7A5554.JPG

It would be easy to walk side by side on this trail. . . if I could keep up with Mrs.TractorDoc that is.

0O7A5555.JPG

Looking backwards -- same spot as the last picture.

0O7A5556.JPG

C'mon Slowpoke!

0O7A5563.JPG

Just about there. The building and all the stuff attached to it are an impressive sight considering its location.

0O7A5569.JPG

Some views from the top.

I think the trail in this picture eventually takes you to Washburn Hot Springs and the Canyon area.

0O7A5576.JPG

View North into the Antelope Bear Management Area.

0O7A5588.JPG

No @Bob , this picture is not photoshopped. :)

GOPR1267A.jpg

We could see a park service truck driving slowly up the Chittenden Road from the viewpoint in that last picture. They arrived some time later -- the driver said it takes about an hour to drive up to the top.

There is excellent cell service on the top of Mount Washburn/in the viewing area of the fire lookout. There was also an abundance of pika in the area.

0O7A5597.JPG

We hung out at the fire lookout for awhile taking in the views and watching the ravens perform acrobatics in the air. There had been few people at the top while we were there, but a group of younger folks showed up shortly after the park service truck did. They were a lively bunch and we took that as our cue to head back down.

A look back up the mountain as we walked down. Some fluffy clouds had drifted in over the afternoon, but luckily no thunderstorms arrived with them.

0O7A5603.JPG

More wildlife.

0O7A5607.JPG

The view towards Canyon improved as the sun settled in the sky.

0O7A5610.JPG

I have read that Mount Washburn is a great place to see wildflowers. We were late in the year for that so this lone geranium would have to do.

0O7A5613.JPG

Mrs.TractorDoc is just as speedy downhill as she is uphill. We were back to the trailhead in no time.

0O7A5614.JPG

This was my first time hiking up Mount Washburn and it was a nice way to spend part of a day -- something I'd easily consider doing again. We had time to drive down/up Hayden Valley and grab some dinner at Canyon before heading back to the Old Faithful area.

Some fun bison rolling in the dirt pictures from Hayden if you are interested.

0O7A5646A.jpg

0O7A5647A.jpg

0O7A5650A.jpg

The End!

Back