Yellowstone 2006

I met my wife in 2005 and I asked her to marry me when we went on a trip to Yellowstone in October. So, we figured we might as well go on our honeymoon there because it was cheap and close. We went in September this time. I wanted to stay at a place with a hot tub and there's not much in West Yellowstone so I booked a cabin in Island Park.
I got a SWEET deal on it for 7 days at around $650. We stayed at a little cabin in the shotgun area about 30 min away from West Yellowstone.
Island Park Cabin Nice little place, but I will stay somewhere else next time the shower was a little small.
Day 1: Get to Island Park, CHILL.
Day 2 : We drove to West Yellowstone to get breakfast and head into the park.

The Madison River and an elk that was standing next to it.
Yellowstone 06\' 044.jpgYellowstone 06\' 045.jpg

We headed down Firehole Falls road and looked at Firehole Falls.
Yellowstone 06\' 113.jpg

The Firehole River with fog.
Yellowstone 06\' 168.jpg

Then it got really foggy!
Yellowstone 06\' 177.jpg

We decided to drive around the loop and end up in the Lamar Valley. As soon as we reached the valley we saw a lone Pronghorn and some nice fall colors.
Yellowstone 06\' 013.jpg
Yellowstone 06\' 015.jpg

Soda Butte Creek with the Absaroka Mtns in the background.
Yellowstone 06\' 019.jpg

At this point we decided to head back and we ran into these sheep.
Yellowstone 06\' 027.jpg

"The Four Asses"!
Yellowstone 06\' 029.jpg

A couple miles down the road and we spotted this HUGE black bear with cubs. Not a great pic, but this thing was the size of a very large grizzly.
Yellowstone 06\' 034.jpg

Day 2: We were going to hit the Canyon area and check out the falls and stuff around there.
This is from the Brink of the Lower Falls and a look down the canyon.
Yellowstone 06\' 070.jpgYellowstone 06\' 075.jpg

We then headed to Mammoth to look around and eat. The elk were in full rut and this guy welcomed us to Mammoth with a nice bugle.
Yellowstone 06\' 169.jpg

We didn't get any good pics of the Mammoth Terraces because the lighting was horrible and there was not much color going on.

Day 3: It was very cold to start the day. A storm was getting ready to move in and we decided we might have to head back if it got bad. We stopped at Norris Geyser Basin first and ony took a few photos because it was so bitchin cold.
Yellowstone 06\' 006.jpg

We headed for the Hayden Valley after this and we saw this Huge Grizzly down by the Yellowstone River. I got multiple pics of it but this was the best because i did not have a telephoto lense. It started to snow as the grizzly went out of sight.
Yellowstone 06\' 122.jpg

The storm a brewing!
Yellowstone 06\' 134.jpg

It was time to go so we headed back, but then it cleared some what and we decided to hit Old Faithful and Mystic Falls.
Yellowstone 06\' 143.jpgYellowstone 06\' 099.jpg

Elk near the trail.
Yellowstone 06\' 094.jpg

We went back for the evening and i took this.
Yellowstone 06\' 005.jpg

It snowed overnight and the park was empty the next day.
Day 4: We drove to the park and we just stuck to the car because it was cold as hell. I took very few pics this day.

Bison and geese in the Hayden Valley
Yellowstone 06\' 147.jpgYellowstone 06\' 146.jpg

This is a look above the Upper Falls and a look below. you can see the mist has cleared the trees of snow.
Yellowstone 06\' 149.jpgYellowstone 06\' 151.jpg

The rest of the trip consisted of hot tubbing and seeing the sites in West Yellowstone and jackson Hole.

Featured image for slideshow:
slide.jpg

Awesome! I've been waiting for you to post some of your Yellowstone trips! :twothumbs: It's cool to see a lot of areas I haven't seen yet! I definitely need to get up into the North East corner!

I really love Yellowstone. And you had a lot of wildlife during your visit :twothumbs:
I would say that if somebody doesn't see wildlife in Yellowstone they are either DEAD or not in yellowstone.

Awesome. I'm pretty well sold on a Yellowstone trip in 2012 now. Crowds or no crowds, I need to get up there!

Ya know, the only thing that kept me out of there in 2011 was the fact that all of the lodging was mediocre or ridiculously expensive. We scored a sweet B&B in Zion with a hot tub in the room for less than $200 per night compared to $150 a night for a shitty room in West Yellowstone. Really wish there were better accommodations for getaways with the wife where we don't want to camp. :(

Awesome. I'm pretty well sold on a Yellowstone trip in 2012 now. Crowds or no crowds, I need to get up there!

Ya know, the only thing that kept me out of there in 2011 was the fact that all of the lodging was mediocre or ridiculously expensive. We scored a sweet B&B in Zion with a hot tub in the room for less than $200 per night compared to $150 a night for a shitty room in West Yellowstone. Really wish there were better accommodations for getaways with the wife where we don't want to camp. :(
Nick, you should really give the Pony Express Motel a try. I thought it was going to suck when I first pulled up to it, but when i got inside i was ok with it. It is an old motel with knotted pine interior and it does not have AC. You don't really need it up there though. It's clean and like I said in my other TR it's 1 block from the pub, grocery store, liquor store, food of all kinds... You check in at the Brandin Iron Inn. $79--$86.90 w/tax for a single queen you can't beat that for the quality anywhere around there. if you try it and don't like it I will allow you to give me lashings, but if you like it I will allow you to pay for my next trip...:D