X-country skiing?

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
I have been thinking about getting into X-country skiing for years. After watching the Olympics today I think it looks like a lot of fun and a great workout. Anyone have experience with it? Would I need to be on a groomed trail or is it relatively easy to blaze your own trail? Hoping for the latter. I would buy this year for next year...

I get out several times a year. Groomed is fun - especially to go down faster, but you can blaze through powder pretty easily too, just like snowshoeing. Definitely try renting before you buy. There is a huge variety of equipment. I don't know what is available up where you are, but its about $12/day at REI or UofU rec for a full kit (skis, boots, poles). Once a year, we rent for our older scout group and ski into a yurt for an overnighter. Good times!

I get out several times a year. Groomed is fun - especially to go down faster, but you can blaze through powder pretty easily too, just like snowshoeing. Definitely try renting before you buy. There is a huge variety of equipment. I don't know what is available up where you are, but its about $12/day at REI or UofU rec for a full kit (skis, boots, poles). Once a year, we rent for our older scout group and ski into a yurt for an overnighter. Good times!
Things are pretty limited as far as renting goes. There are about 2000 people that live here in Malad and maybe 6000 in the whole county. But we do have that fancy indoor plumbin. Ahee ahee... Logan and Pocatello are about a hour away I will see what I can dig up there. Thanks

I just got into X-country skiing this year. It's such a blast for winter recreation.

I did X-Country skiing for years when I lived in Germany. I lived in the neighborhood of Germany's biathlon center
Depending where you primarily want to go, there are different kind of skies.
I used to ski primarily on groomed trails and therefore had skies that were awesome in track but somehow failed in deep snow and in the back country.
There are also differences between skate skies and simple classic skies on groomed trails or combinations of both.
Be sure to figure out first where you primarily want to ski before buying a pair.
I would rent first and figure out what you prefer most.

I'm hoping to find some end of season deals.

I did X-Country skiing for years when I lived in Germany. I lived in the neighborhood of Germany's biathlon center
Depending where you primarily want to go, there are different kind of skies.
I used to ski primarily on groomed trails and therefore had skies that were awesome in track but somehow failed in deep snow and in the back country.
There are also differences between skate skies and simple classic skies on groomed trails or combinations of b
Be sure to figure out first where you primarily want to ski before buying a pair.
I would rent first and figure out what you prefer most.
Thanks, found a place in Logan that rents skis. THE SPORTSMAN-http://thesportsmanltd.com/ski-and-ski-equipment/

I think Al's Sporting Goods in Logan might as well.
I'll have to check into that. It will be nice when they move into their new store.

I almost never ski downhill anymore. Tired of the cost and lines. Like others said different skis for different needs. I would start by skiing on groomed trails and waxless skis. You do not need tracks but a trail/road free of obstacles would ease the learning curve. I love making new tracks through powder. A little more effort than trails with tracks. You'll deeper snow for off trail to cover rocks and downed trees but ultimately this is the most exciting way to Xcountry ski.

Cross-country skiing is a blast, one of the best workouts I can get compared to rowing.

I've never xc skiied before. I've seen skiis with skins on them for ascending hills. How do proper XC skiis compare to telemark skiis with skins on them?

I don't really know how the two compare, but I've done a fair amount of skinning on my splitboard and it's a ton of fun. Tons of floatation and sooooo much funner/easier than snowshoeing.

I've never xc skiied before. I've seen skiis with skins on them for ascending hills. How do proper XC skiis compare to telemark skiis with skins on them?
I cross country skied for years. Then I got invited to work for room and board at a backcountry ski business in British Columbia, where I learned how to telemark. I agree with @Nick it's way more fun than snowshoes. We would skin up all day, ski down in fresh powder all winter, every day. I've done a few winter camping trips on skis with a backpack too.

If you're just doing trails, you can use a more comfortable flexible boot, and skinnier, lighter skis. Waxless skis are easier, but won't be as much fun to go down if it's not very steep as the scales slow you. Waxable skis you have to find the right temperature wax and just rub it on at the trailhead or at home. Not too hard really. Skins, at least type with glue, wouldn't really work on waxless.

Now my wife and I telemark at our mom and pop ski area every weekend. It's how you survive in Montana! Because our kids love to downhill, I rarely do backcountry skiing for now. The more you get into telemarking, the heavier duty the boots, bindings and skis get. Now I use big plastic boots, a wider ski, and a cable binding that pushes the ball of your foot down more than a 3 pin or similar binding that would be used for trails. It is a fairly steep learning curve for most to learn telemarking, but has been great for me.

When you skin up you can almost go as many places as snowshoeing. You can get a heel lifter that makes it easier to go very steeply up, my bindings include that. There is nothing better than gliding through fresh powder in a remote backcountry area as @baltocharlie said. You do have to be educated about and equipped for avalanche danger if you get near 30 degree slopes and more anywhere.